TWENTY ONE

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE:

FREED

     JUGHEAD HAD HIS ARMS CROSSED on the metal table in the police station, staring at Betty in worry. "I didn't do it, Betty, you have to believe me."

"Of course, I was with you, and I know who you are." Betty grasped the boys hand, reveling in its warmth despite the cold surroundings.

"Those Paradise Lost kids went to death row because they wore black and they listened to Metallica. I don't wanna become a scapegoat." Jughead fidgeted with his hands until Betty's hand grasped his.

"I'm not gonna let that happen." Betty sighed, tightening her hold on his hands. "All the evidence against you is circumstantial. We're gonna get you out of here."

Jughead breathed in sharply, wondering how long he was going to be stuck there for. "Is my dad here yet?" He had asked Archie and Virginia to call him, would he come?

"Archie's here with his dad. They're talking to the Sheriff. No one knows where your dad is. But, Jug, Ginny's out there and she's really upset."

Jughead sighed, his eyes closing. He knew that he had to tell her everything that was going on. He knew she knew pieces of information but he would have to tell her about Betty.

"I know she is."

º º º

     IT WAS HELL FOR THE YOUNG GIRL as she waited to hear about her best friend. Why was he arrested? Archie and Betty sat down with her and explained what had happened for Jughead to be arrested. When Betty went in to visit with Jug, Sheriff Keller exited to talk with Fred Andrews.

"Jughead's not helping himself in there." Fred argued with the sheriff, frustrated.

"I asked him for an alibi, and he just gave me lip." Kevin's father argued, his arms crossed.

Virginia stepped forward, her mouth opened to tell him where Jughead was but she didn't know. She knew where he was when Jason went missing but a week afterwards? She wasn't friends with him then, she was still upset with what he had done. Could Jughead have killed Jason?

"He was working for me." Fred replied, looking to Archie for confirmation. "Yeah, the week of July 11th, was it? Yeah, I had him tear down some drywall for me."

"You can provide me with documentation to support that?" The sheriff asked.

"I have to check my time cards."

º   º   º

     VIRGINIA RACED TOWARDS JUGHEAD, launching her body onto his as she wrapped her arms around him. He had just been released due to Fred Andrews lies and Sheriff Keller stood at the end of the hallway, watching.

"I-I'm sorry, Jug." Virginia whispered into his ear as he held onto her tightly. "I'm sorry for yelling at you, I'm so–"

"No," Jughead pulled away to look at the girl he loved. "I'm sorry. I've been such an asshole to you and you don't deserve it."

Virginia smiled sadly, "I probably do."

"No, don't say that!" Jughead exclaimed loudly, holding her hands in his. "You mean so much to me Gin, you have no idea."

"I've missed you," her voice cracked as her eyes watered. "I know I've done some shit and freaking out on you the other day wasn't cool but–"

"It's okay, Gin." He hushed her, "in time, tell me. You don't have to, just know that I'm here for you." He smiled down at his best friend, adoring how her her smile showed her dimples.

"I'm always here for you."

º   º   º

  IT WAS AWKARD FOR THE TWO AS Archie and Betty approached the two. Virginia kept her eyes on the ground, watching Betty embrace Jughead. She did notice the lingering stare he sent her as he hugged the blonde girl back.

"Jughead! I'm sorry. I came as soon as I got your messages. My phone, the friggin' battery. I forgot to plug it in last night. What the hell happened?" FP called out as they exited the station. And Ginny breathed in sharply at the sight of the drunken asshole walking towards them.

"Nothing. It's fine now. Mr. Andrews took care of it." Jughead told his dad casually and Ginny peaked out from behind his tall frame to stare at his father.

"What jacked-up crap did they accuse you of in there, huh? Those bastards trying to throw you in jail like they did your old man? Well, screw that. I will rip Keller a new one for trying to pull that–"

"FP, settle down." Fred told his friend, watching the man getting riled up.

"Hey! Hey! This is my son, he is my son, Fred! You'd do the same for your boy."

"Dad. Don't make things worse. Please." Jughead told his father quickly, hoping to avoid his fathers antics in front of his friends. Ginny had seen FP in moods before but Jughead didn't know the extent to it.

"Yeah. Yeah, all right, then. You, uh, coming home with me?" FP's gaze darted to the young girl beside his son and he stopped breathing. He was sober enough to realise that Virginia Hopkins could tell Jughead everything.

"He can stay with us, Mr. Jones. We already offered." Archie's voice yanked FP from his thoughts and he nodded, turning to his son.

"Is that what you want? Maybe that's for the best. If you don't mind, Fred." FP muttered, looking to his old friend in question.

"Whatever you want, FP. It's between the two of you."

"I'll go with you, Dad." Jughead told him and Virginia felt herself freeze.

"Son, listen to me. I'm gonna do what you want, get my act together. I'm gonna get your mom and Jellybean home so we're all under the same roof. I promise. But I I just need a little time to do that. Not a lot, not long, a month, two at the most– Hey. And then we'll be back on track, all right? You You believe that, don't you?"

Virginia felt her heart ache as she watched Jughead's internal struggle: would he believe his father?

"Yeah, I believe you, Dad." Jughead would always have hope.

FP sighed with a chuckle as he looked down at his son. "All right." Virginia pushed Jughead away from his father, sending a glare his way.

The others didn't notice the hand that grasped her waist, pulling her back to the older man. She frowned at the hand before noticing the hard glare sent her way.

"Where's my gun?"

º    º    º