THIRTY SIX

CHAPTER THIRTY SIX:

↳ PROGRESS 

     IMMEDIATELY AFTER SAYING THAT, Ginny Hopkins jumped up from her position at the table and ran off. She rarely liked being a drama queen and there she was, making a fuss over a stupid dance. Jughead sighed, standing up slowly, knowing he would have to go after her.

"Dude, you didn't ask her to the dance yet?" Archie asked in disbelief, shaking his head. Sure, Jughead was new to the dating game but he should've asked her on a date already. 

"No," Jughead told his friend. "I didn't think it was that big of a deal. I'll be back." He pushed himself out from his spot on the bench and walked in the direction he saw Ginny go. 

Jughead found Ginny in an empty school hallway, leaning up against a wall, her legs pulled tightly to her chest. Jughead sighed, looking at the girl who was wearing his jacket and approached her.

The young boy collapsed beside the brunette girl, who turned at his movements. 

"I'm sorry," Jughead began, clasping onto her warm hands that took shelter on her knees. "I'm new to this boyfriend thing and you're my best friend– I never knew you would want to go to the dance." 

"I don't," Ginny said with a shaky laugh, wiping away the tear stains left behind. "I'm just really emotional right now–"

"Why?" Jughead asked sharply, his grip on her hand tightening slightly. He was protective of Ginny and if it was because of her mom or that older man– "Is it because of your mom?" 

"N–No," Ginny laughed, squeezing his hand. "I–It's my time of the month, Jug." 

Silence filled between them and Jughead's mouth opened in realization. "Oh."

"Yeah, oh." Ginny nodded with a blush. She knew that she had to be honest with him, even if it was just about her period. She knew that eventually she would have to reveal a bigger secret to him. "I get that we're new to being more than friends and I shouldn't care."

"You should care," Jughead interrupted, his eyes narrowed at her words. "I haven't properly asked you out on a date yet." 

"You haven't," Ginny mused, leaning in towards Jughead with a teasing smile. .

Jughead stood up, pulling the young girl up with him. He grabbed onto her hips, pushing her up against the wall slightly. Ginny's heart was pounding in her chest as Jughead looked down into her big doe eyes. 

"Virginia Hopkins, will you do me the honour of being my girlfriend at tomorrow's dance?"