FIFTEEN

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:

AUDITIONS

IT WAS THE END OF THE SCHOOL DAY when Virginia sat in the wing of the stage, watching others audition for the talent show. The brunette girl slouched in her plastic seat as a few awful performances ended.

"Archie Andrews?"

Virginia turned in surprise at the name called, she wasn't sure the singer was going to audition, being new to music and all. She herself wasn't sure if she should still do this— even if it was a requirement. The Variety Show was a big deal in Riverdale and she didn't want to conform to the rules... nor be in the spotlight. Especially with Reggie, Cheryl, and Holly Parker in the auditorium.

"And what will you be auditioning with?" Kevin asked his friend pleasantly.

"Uh, an original song that I wrote called I'll Try." Archie told the small crowd, clearing his throat as he clutched onto his guitar.

"Try harder! Maybe try not sucking so much." Virginia frowned as Reggie and his friends laughed at the expense of their teammate.

"Take your time, Archie. Though we do have people waiting." Kevin told his friend, trying to be supportive yet authoritative.

Moments passed and Virginia held her breath, waiting for Archie to begin— but he didn't.

"Oh, my God, what's happening?" Someone beside her whispered and she ignored the girl, wishing she could step out and quell the nerves of her friend.

"Archie? Clock's ticking."

"Excuse me. Sorry, I gotta go." Archie muttered into the microphone before turning and rushing off stage and out the side door.

"Archie?" Virginia clutched her beaten up guitar, frown in place as her old friend raced past her.

She knew very well what just happened because it happened to her before– that's why the young girl never performed with anyone. The constant fear of rejection and failure would haunt her.

Archie got stage fright.

º º º

     VIRGINIA SAT BESIDE ARCHIE and Valerie after auditions in the school hallway, feeling proud of herself. After Archie raced off stage, she performed, not holding back as she sang her heart out.