Mya's POV.

Being accepted into Seattle University still seemed unreal. Not my first option... but getting out of Detroit was a necessity. I dreaded leaving my hometown, the place I grew up with the people I loved the most. But it was time to let go. I was a regular kid with big dreams.. unrealistic dreams. I figured, maybe, just maybe I'd turn out different than every other person born and raised in Detroit. My parents were right, I was a nobody. I made decent grades, so college was my only other option after not being selected for American Idol. All the work I put into making music videos with my friends to upload on youtube.. All of it was for nothing.

Main reason I picked Seattle was because I adored the rain. I loved nothing more than listening to the sound of rain pellets fall onto the hard concrete outside. I was the rain, and the rain was me. 

I finished unpacking the little amount of the rest of my clothes and plopped down on my bed. Thank god Seattle provided them because I had no bed at my moms house. I slept on blankets.

I also had no roommate... which made me happy. I wanted to be alone at this point in my life. I just wanted to start over.

Only thing I brought to Seattle was my clothes, cellphone, and a car. I got into the college through a full scholarship. Never had parents who wanted more for me in life, so there was absolutely no possibility for them to pay for me to get into here. Literally he only response I got when I told them I'd be leaving for college was "You think you're so much better than us, but you never will be." 

I decided to take a stroll outside. I wanted to somewhat become familiar with the campus.

"Hey!" I turned to a call behind me.

I spun my head around to see a boy, my age looking, waving with a black umbrella. He had a head full of nappy curlsand sweet smile.

I rushed to his side, pushing myself under his umbrella.

"Care to share?" I laughed.

"Wow." He peered at me. "You are so beautiful."

"Thank you." I chuckled. In Detroit, guys simply approached you with the question "wassup with you" and that was it.

If my mom did anything right, it was keeping me away from them. Everybody slept with everyone, and I'm glad I had enough sense to not join the mix.

"Why is it I've never seen you around Seattle or here before?" He asked me.

"Just moved." I replied.

He nodded. "From where?"

"Detroit." I sighed.

"I'm Damion. Born and raised here.. for starters.. never come to Seattle without an umbrella." He looked at me with a smirk.

"I'm Mya, and I like the rain so it actually doesn't bother me much." I crossed my arms, shivering a bit.

"Well I've certainly never heard anyone say that. I hate the rain here but I'm used to it now. I can show you around since you're new. But if you don't mind me asking, may I get your number?"

"Yeah you can." I smiled before reading off my number to him. I watched the genuine look in his eyes while he typed it in.

"So what is it like around here? At this college?" I asked Damion.

"Can't trust anybody.. Literally. Of course me, but if we are being honest here, people around here only look out for themselves. Smart to keep a small circle." He looked off into the distance.

"Sounds just like Detroit. Never been the type to have that many friends anyway." I shrugged.

He laughed, looking down.

"What?" I gave him a small nudge.

"It's just... I really want to get to know you. That's all." Damion admitted.

"Get to know me then." I replied.