I Hate Mondays

To my relief, The Darling Boys took their annual camping trip the next two days.

Hence why Saturday and Sunday were the most peaceful days of the week; there was no parties next door.

I spent most of Saturday in my bedroom binge watching some old sitcom with Sammy before he headed back off to college again. Sunday consisted more of some gala I had to attend with Mom.

To say I was shocked when I was stirred awake the next morning by someone ringing the door bell repeatedly, would be an understatement. To say that I was surprised to find one of the Darling boys outside would be a lie.

Robbie was standing on the washed out Welcome mat, that in recent years had been stepped on so often that it caused the WME to fade so the mat read ELCO.

I was honestly shocked that he would even show up here, after Sam had threatened him Friday night.

"What do you want?" I mumbled, stretching my arms over my head and yawning. Robbie watched in amusement, shifting on his feet.

"I was wondering if you needed a ride." I started to shake my head, ready to tell him that I could still sleep for another couple hours when I got the time on the clock hanging above the mantel.

"Crap." I hissed, the turned back to Robbie, "I don't need a ride. My best friend is picking me up." I really just didn't want to ride in his dusty old Mustang for multiple reasons, the main being I'd be alone in a car with a Darling for a half hour.

"Just tell her I'm taking you." He said, shrugging.

"No, look, Robbie. I'm flattered, really." I grabbed my flats from where they were beneath the couch and sent a sarcastic smile over my shoulder, "But I'm sure there are plenty of other girls out there that would love to have you drive them." I hopped around on one foot the second after I kicked one of my baby sister's blocks, hissing under my breath.

"Come on, Sienna." He tried again.

"Why does it even matter? Why are you even doing this after my brother's threat?"

"Your brother is all bark and no bite." He answered right away, his lip curling back a little.

"Robbie, thanks again, but you better get going or you'll be late too." Instead of turning around and walking out like any logical person would, he invited himself into my semi-warm house and shut my the door gently behind him, waiting until we heard the quiet click signaling it was closed to speak up again.

"Sienna." Something in Robbie's voice caused me to glance back over my shoulder on my way down the hall.

"What?" I whispered.

"Your dad is out." I felt a cold chill shoot through my body at Robbie's words.

"I saw him Friday, he-"

"My Dad just came home from the second hearing. Your dad's free." I turned away, shielding my face with the darkness of the hallway as I tried to steady myself against the washer.

Mr. Darling is one of the most brutally honest lawyers in all of Washington, there's no way that he'd lie to his kids, especially over a matter involving my dad.

Everyone knew about Alan Hall, the part time construction worker. Everyone knew what happened during the time he wasn't at work, and if they didn't, they'd be able to tell anytime Mom, Sam, or I walked around in public.

"I have to get ready." I eventually forced out, my mind racing with millions of thoughts as I hurried back toward my room.

Kneeling down, I reached for an old band t-shirt and a pair of worn jeans. Once I had thrown them on and ran a brush through my hair, I looked toward my bedroom mirror, wincing at my reflection.