No Joke

"Is this some sort of joke to you?"

I shoved the manila folder into Robbie's arms, feeling his teammates eyes burning into the back of my head as I threw my hands in the air in exasperation.

"What?" He stared at the folder with a blank expression, his cheeks flushing.

"That pathetic little joke that you and Alex through together." I snapped, "Did you honestly think I was stupid enough to believe it?"

Robbie opened the file, his eyebrows furrowing in concentration as he started to whisper to himself.

"Alex gave this to you?" He questioned, lifting his head back up and staring at me expectantly.

"Yes."

"You better go back to Ashton, he's waiting for you." Then Robbie shoved the file into his backpack and threw his hoodie up over his messy hair, stalking toward the entrance of the school. I stared after him for a moment, then let out a shaky sigh and let myself start to walk backwards toward Ashton standing by my locker, feeling as if I had just accused Robbie for a crime he hadn't had any part in committing.

*

"You sure you're okay, love?" Ashton asked, touching my arm gently as he rocked back and forth on his heels.

"I'm good, Ash." I nodded toward my door, "Mom said you could stay for dinner if you wanted."

"I'd stay, babe, but my parents have this ridiculous work thing going on and I have to go. Dad's pulling the whole "if you want to play ball, then you better have something to fall back on" bull." I frowned, nodding.

"You better go then. I'll see you tomorrow?" A half smile tugged at the right side of his mouth.

"Yeah." He leaned forward and took my hand, looking ready to lean ever closer and kiss me.

Of course Sam had to interrupt it.

"Okay, that's enough, kids. Say good night." I rolled my eyes at my brother while Ashton stared at him in shock.

"I'll see you tomorrow." Ashton muttered once he regained his composure, pecking my cheek quickly before hurrying down the steps. I waited until he drove off to turn the my brother and push him back into the house.

"What is wrong with you?" I asked.

"I don't like him." He shrugged, as if it were obvious. Which, I guess, it was.

"You don't like any guy I do. You always scare them away." I grumbled, perching on the arm of my couch.

"That's because they aren't good enough for you." He replied, grabbing a room temperature Pepsi from the case beside the fridge and falling into his bean bag chair a few feet away.

"How would you know?" I leaned back against the couch, "You always scare them off before they have a chance to prove themselves."

"That is where you're wrong, my dear sister." He waved his finger, as if explaining something to a puppy.

"Any man that was good enough for you would stick around no matter what, no matter how hard I try to keep them away from you. They're showing that they care enough to sneak behind my back, to love you against my wishes. It shows that they're willing to fight for you, Sienna." I smiled at his response, bowing my head as one name ricocheted around in my mind.

Robbie.

Robbie, the guy my brother had been threatening repeatedly for years, who, even after all this weird crap, I still felt some sort of connection to. He was a good friend, one that had gone against my brother over and over just to make sure I was okay.