Maybe I Like It

"Sienna, come on. Think about what you're doing."

Ashton whispered, holding his Letterman over his arm, his eyes dark..

"What do you mean?" I responded.

"Don't tell me that you think you're going to be safe with Robbie. That kid, his cousin, the way he looks at you scares me. And Robbie, he created that certificate as a joke, he obviously thinks you're stupid." Ashton stepped forward, "I can protect you, Sienna."

I shook my head, thinking back to last night, the way I'd felt when Robbie had kissed me.

"I can't." I dropped my gaze, "I. . . I like him, Ashton. You're a really nice guy, and I mean that. But I don't feel anything, I don't-"

"Fine. Go then, Sienna." He sighed, but he didn't really look all that sad or hurt by any of this.

"Thank you." I kissed his cheek before turning around and heading back toward the parking lot to my car, feeling relieved when I finally reached Kayla's car and climbed into it, ignoring her questioning glances the entire way back to my house.

**

I found Eliott sitting out by the hammock behind our houses when I went out to grab Nike's outside food and water bowl. He was sitting with his knees pressed up against his chest, and even from this far back, I could tell he was whispering to himself.

"Eliott?" I whispered, careful not to startle him. He turned his head slightly, but didn't look at me over his shoulder.

"You okay?" I questioned the youngest Darling.

"I think so." He muttered, his eyes finally flickering up to me as I stopped beside him.

"You want to talk about it?" I questioned, crouching down.

"I heard Alex talking to Jai about you this morning. He keeps saying how much he wants to get rid of you, how much he dislikes you. But. . . but I think I understand now why he won't go through with it." I nodded, waiting for him to go on.

"You remind him of Mom." Eliott's voice caught in his throat, making the words come out choked.

I didn't respond, I didn't know how to.

How was I supposed to feel about reminding Alex of. . . of Wendy Darling? If the boys' story was true, that is.

"You're really smart, like she was. And you know how to make everyone laugh." Eliott smiled weakly, "You're kind hearted, you saw the best in us, even when we drove you to the verge of insanity. You even look a little like her."

I let my eyes linger on the blades of grass between my fingers for a moment, letting what he said sink in for a moment.

"Do you believe what Alex says?" I asked him.

"About what?"

"About women, growing up, everything." Eliott stayed quiet for so long that I almost got up and left, thinking he wasn't going to respond.

"I don't know anymore." He finally responded, "I used to believe every word that came out of Alex's mouth. He was all I had ever known, he was the one that took care of us off and on for our entire lives. But our foster father was set on letting us know that it was okay to grow up, and you, you helped me confirm that Alex wasn't. . . all there."

"Robbie's turned his back on Alex completely and he won't talk to Jai. He rarely even talks to me anymore, and I guess I get it. He doesn't want to believe in Alex's brainwashing bullshit anymore either." I let him go on quietly, my mouth shut the whole time.