Usually Hanging Out With Peter Pan

I wrote my dad back on Friday.

Although my head was screaming for me to rip up the letter and throw it away, my heart was telling me otherwise. It was telling me that in the end I would be the one effected by any sort of grudge against him- and he was my father.

As much as he was a piece of crap, I had to try and find some sort of good in him. And maybe, maybe these AA meetings and being in jail again would be the boost he needs to getting his life together.

"What's that?" Sam caught me on my way out. I was surprised he was even here, considering that his exams were coming up at school.

"Oh, just an application I'm sending in for an internship." I lied through my teeth, hoping he couldn't see through it. He shrugged, nodding as he flopped back down on the couch and grabbed his Xbox remote from the table.

"Nice." I thought I had been let off the hook, "Where are you thinking about interning at?"

"It's that animal hospital a few blocks away." I couldn't believe how quickly I had come up with a lie.

"Cool. Be back before dark, there's supposed to be a storm heading in." I nodded, grabbing my keys and jacket from the coat rack before going outside.

I caught sight of Alex sitting on the last step of the Darling's porch, his head buried in his hands. I fought the urge to walk over and confront him about what he said and climbed into the car instead, driving off before I could talk myself into doing something I knew I'd regret.

**

I tossed another french fry into my mouth as I pulled back up to my house, parking my Jetta behind my brother's Jeep.

Alex had planted himself beside the pool, but none of the Darling boy's were in sight. After a moment of staring from the car, I wiped my greasy hand on my jeans and got out of the car.

Keeping my footsteps light and quiet, I shoved my hands into my jacket pockets as I approached him.

"There's supposed to be a storm tonight." I said, shifting awkwardly.

"I'm aware." He didn't even glance in my direction, "You should get inside, little girl. I would hate to see Robbie in despair." I couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic or not, so I decided to change the subject.

"You should probably get inside." I whispered.

"You shouldn't be concerned about me, Sienna. All I have done is try to drive you away from my boys."

"Haven't you ever heard of something being taboo?" I questioned, "When something, or someone, is off limits, it's more exciting to go after that thing or person."

Why the hell was I acting like this wasn't the guy that had been threatening me for the last month?

"I suppose we can all have different names for it, yes?" He finally lifted his head and gave me a swift nod of his head.

"I guess." I shrugged.

"Are you going to tell Robert about it?" He questioned after a few minutes of a tense silence.

"Tell Robbie about what?"

"Writing your father back." I stared blankly at him, shaking my head in disbelief.

"How. . . wha. . . how do you know about that?" He couldn't have possibly seen who it was addressed to from where he had been sitting this morning.

"I know a lot of things, Sienna." A cold laugh escaped his mouth. "I know that you prefer to keep everyone at a distance because you're afraid of attachment, and you have trust issues."