Under The Light Of A Thousand Stars

I stared at the small pink envelope in my hand, frowning.

I could tell, just by the sloppy slanted font way my name was written across the top of it, that it was from my dad.

Robbie was going back and forth between two different ties in my bedroom mirror, his eyebrows raising and falling as he shook his head.

"Sienna, which one looks better?" He turned around, but my mind was elsewhere.

"Si?" He repeated, setting them both on the dresser a few feet away.

It had only been about a week and a half since I had broken up with Ashton. Although Robbie hadn't really made any more moves on me, hadn't kissed me, I still felt relieved knowing that if the time did come, that I wouldn't be hurting Ash. I already felt horrible for not pushing Robbie away that night, because that had meant that I was cheating on Ashton, even if I didn't really feel the same way about Robbie as I did him.

"Who's it from?" He took the envelope between his index and middle finger, letting his eyes fall on the sloppy writing.

"Alan." I responded. Robbie's eyebrows shot up, his expression cold.

"Why the hell is he writing to you? Isn't he back in jail?" I nodded, taking the envelope back and peeling it open. Before I could have a chance to unfold the piece of paper, I heard the sound of someone shouting outside.

Alex and Jai were standing by the pool, waving toward us. I heard Robbie sigh behind me, obviously aware of why they were doing it.

"I better go, Sienna. I'll see you tonight." He leaned forward to kiss me, hesitated, then let his lips fall against mine gently for the first time since last Monday.

"Be careful." I whispered. He paused for a moment before sending me a quick smile over his shoulder.

"Don't worry, Sienna. I'll be fine." I waited until I heard the front door shut to tear open the envelope and stare at the crinkled piece of college ruled notebook paper.

Sienna,

Your mother and Samson won't respond to any of my letters or calls, so I have decided to try and talk to you.

Sweetheart, I know that I've been a piece of shit, that I can't handle myself when I have alcohol. But you've also got to understand that your mother isn't innocent in this either.

I understand that you have a life now, and you plan on an even bigger one. I see you have a boyfriend, great grades, and your mother told me that you've been offered multiple scholarships. That's great. I don't expect you to forgive me, but at some point, I hope to be a part of your life.

They have me seeing a psychiatrist in here, and I'm going to AA meetings as well. I love you, Sienna, and all I can say is I'm sorry. I know it'll never be good enough.

Take care of Eve for me please. Take care of yourself.

With Love,

Dad

**

I tried to ignore Alex's eyes burning into the back of my head the entire movie.

Robbie and Eliott had thought it would be fun to come see some new Marvel movie, Alex and Jai had decided to tag along as an afterthought, like they could care less either way.

Isabelle, who I still wasn't quite sure I recognized from school or not, kept her head against Alex's shoulder the entire time, completely unaware that he was glaring down at me. I'm sure if someone asked him what the movie was about, he wouldn't have any idea.