Through The Glass

"I need your help."

Samson looked up, obviously startled by my sudden words. He was sitting with Evie on his lap, trying to teach her how to play her toy xylophone.

"With what?"

"Mom's at work and Alan. . . well, they aren't here to talk to me and I was wondering if you would." I shifted on my feet, realizing how much I was rambling a second too late, "Homecoming is tonight and I'm nervous about-"

"Okay, sis. Take a deep breath and sit down." I followed his order and took a seat on the recliner, crossing my hands on my lap.

"What are you nervous about?" He made a gesture with his hand, his eyebrows raised.

"What if. . . Kayla's told me all these stories about Prom night sex." I stuttered, rubbing my sweaty palms against my pants.

"You're scared Robbie's going to force you to have sex?"

"No, no." I said quickly, "I'm scared that if he suggests it, or wants to, that I won't be ready. And what if tonight is horrible, like. . . like some movie. . ."

"Si, calm down." My brother laughed in my face. I frowned, staring at him.

"Look, I know it's probably scary for you right now. You've gone through a lot of crap the last few months. With Alan, Kayla, Robbie, and school, obviously. But I want you to forget about all of that tonight." He shifted Evie on his lap, "I want you to have a great time, tonight is your night."

"I wrote Dad." I blurted before I could stop myself.

"I know." My mouth dropped open in confusion.

"How did you know?" He shrugged, looking away.

"Well, I knew he wrote you and when you left yesterday, the few college apps you hadn't sent in yet were all on the table. But I'm not saying anything, Sienna. You'll be eighteen in a couple weeks, you need to learn to be able to make your own decisions." I stood up, a sad smile creeping across my face.

"You mean I need to grow up?" I questioned. His face twisted for a second before he rested his chin on our little sister's shoulder and sighed.

"I guess so."

**

I stared down at my converse, contemplating on whether I should sneak them on under the long pink dress I was wearing instead of the heels that I knew were bound to kill me.

"Sienna!" Sam's voice echoed through the hall, "Robbie's waiting for you!" I let out a shaky sigh and looked back at Kayla on my phone, watching her as she finished applying her make-up.

"I guess I'll see you there." I said. She nodded, setting her mascara down and smiling at me.

"You look beautiful, Si. Stop looking so terrified." I thanked her before ending the call and shoving my phone deep into my purse.

I had to hold up part of my dress as I stumbled out of the room, nearly tripping over my own feet.

"Hey, dork." I said, laughing nervously as I walked into the room. Robbie's head snapped up, his lips parting in surprise when he saw me.

It's not like I looked all that different, I wasn't the girl that totally transformed by the end of a movie. I had only added a little more make-up then usual and curled my hair so it fell in waves around my neck.

"Dork?" He muttered, "So we're going to go there?" I was worried I may have offended him when a grin stretched across his face.

"You look beautiful, Sienna." I glanced down at myself and waved my hand.