9. Say You Won't Let Go - Pt 2

I knew I needed you
But I never showed
But I wanna stay with you
Until we're grey and old
Just say you won't let go
- James Arthur

Justin's POV

"Brie? Where are you? I've been trying to call you all day." I let out a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves.

"I'm okay." She breathed into the phone.

"You don't sound okay." I said honestly, she sounded like something was wrong and I couldn't help but wonder if she'd changed her mind about us and that's why she wasn't picking up before, because she didn't know how to break it to me that she didn't want me.

"I um . . ." She continued but didn't say anything else. I felt like my world was about to change. And I felt like my heart was about to be shattered. I clutched my iPhone tightly to my ear.

"Talk to me." My voice was soft with a slight hitch, and I knew she could probably tell I was worried.

"I don't know how," She whispered and my heart started beating hard and fast in my chest.

"You can tell me anything. I promise." I managed to breathe out, trying to calm my nerves for what she was about to say.

I closed my eyes and willed her to say the words I was dreading and then she said something that threw me totally off balance.

"I'm pregnant."

I counted her still breaths on the other end of the line. She was silent and so was I, as I tried to come to terms with what she had just revealed. She didn't say anything else, just those two words that would change our lives forever. The two words I didn't expect or see coming at all. I counted to five before my voice came back and I swallowed the huge lump in my throat and took a breathe I didn't even know I was holding in.

"It's going to be okay. I um . . . I don't want you to be scared ok, Brie. It's going to be okay." I tried to reassure her even though I was scared myself.

"I-I don't . . ." She started crying then and I just wished I was there to hold her and tell her how much I loved her and that everything would be ok. She tried to finish what she was saying through her cries. "I-I don't know . . . you're not. I don't know how . . . ."

"Hey, don't cry. You got me. I'm not going anywhere."

She sniffled again. "I feel alone and scared. I can't—"

"I'm so sorry, Brie. I know. I wish—" My voice got caught in my throat and I was sure she had heard it. I was trying not to cry, and that made her start to cry even more before I said. "I love you. You know I love you. And I wish I could hold you right now. Kiss you. Tell you it's going to be okay. I know I'm not with you. But I'm here. And it's okay."

"You really think it will be?" She whispered. I wished I could see her face. I wanted to look into her eyes as she said those words and put my arms around her.

"I know it will be." My breaths were labored through the phone. Sporadic and uneven as I got up from the bed in my hotel room and started pacing the floor. My bare feet moving swiftly across the carpet as I ran my fingers through my now shorter hair then rubbed at my neck. "Have you . . . have you been to the doctor yet?"

"Yeah," She whispered.

"And is everything okay? I mean. I don't know how this works exactly."

She laughed as she sniffled. "Me either."

"We'll figure this out. I promise."

For the first time since she told me that she was pregnant and sent my world spiraling, I felt just a little bit better, knowing that we were in this together no matter what.