Chapter One

It was a normal day in the tiny city of Farah, Washington. The sun was out, the wind was blowing ever so slightly, and the town was quiet. Not a sound was made. In a small house over the bridge, Emonalee was sitting on the edge of her bed, having a conversation with the voices in her head. In a big house, on the other side of the bridge, Louis was at the table, sharpening his knives. The two were very alike in a lot of ways. They also were different in a lot of ways. Emonalee pulled her phone out of her pocket and texted her friend, Sophia, asking her about the homework in Math that they had yesterday. Sophia on the other hand, was still sound asleep. Dreaming about princess dresses and tiaras, she was a girly girl, Emonalee hated that about her, mostly because she was so open about it. Sophia was glamorous, she was on the cheer squad, and she had the best boyfriend anybody could dream of. But he was also dangerous. He was the one sharpening knives at the table. He was the one who just ten minutes ago, was standing in front of the mirror making sure his eyeliner was perfectly applied. You guessed it, Louis. He was not only everyone else's dream, he was also everyone else's nightmare. He would go to people's houses in the middle of the night, and knock on their window. Emonalee heard about him and his filthy habits, but she thought that he wouldn't come to hers since she was pretty much invisible to him and everyone around him. Everybody was afraid of him, but at the same time, they couldn't get enough of him. He was the typical bad boy of the town. Now, Emonalee on the other hand, wasn't afraid, for she admired him, she wanted to be like him, but her friends did not approve. They all said she was crazy. Especially Daniel. Daniel thought it was the worst idea, he told her straight up what he thought. The thought alone made him cringe. All her other friends just laughed at the idea. So that night, she went home and talked with the voices. They told her to cause physical pain to Daniel and all the others, but she couldn't, and she wouldn't. So she called Daniel and told him she was sorry on his voicemail, she then walked into the living room and kissed her sleeping brother on the forehead, whispering to him that she would miss him. She walked past her mother and sister into the kitchen and she stood in front of her fathers picture and kissed it goodbye, then walked back to her room. She took her favourite razor and started on her wrist. She cut deep and long lines, then, when her wrists were all cut up, she moved to her thighs, then to her hands, when she was about to cut her stomach, she heard 'tap tap tap' she slowly got up from her place on the floor and walked to where she heard the tapping. She opened her curtains and the razor slipped out of her hands and onto the carpet as she let out a blood-curdling scream.