s i x t e e n: ✔

Sixteen:

Sixteen:

The front of my car was completely smashed.

Small bits and pieces hung helplessly at the edge of the hood which was badly squeezed, looking like a lump of scrap metal, and what was once a beautiful red paint. The headlights were broken, hanging onto dear life as they sat half glued to the remains of the car's nose.

The back part was perfectly fine, though. It looked completely untouched, the same as it had always been.

Looking from the back only, the car seemed almost new. Too bad the front totally ruined the picture.

"I'm sorry, Bree," mom gently placed her hand on my shoulder, squeezing it slightly, "This is all we could do with it. Your dad had your car taken to the service while you were still in the hospital, and they said it was impossible to fix. The whole front should've been redone, and the expenses were huge. It might've even crossed the price of the actual car."

"It's okay..." I said half-heartedly. "It's just a car..."

But it wasn't just a car. It was my very first car. It held so many memories, so many food stains on the chair tapestries which always reminded me of my favorite Pizza (this is why I'd always refused to have the chairs washed).

So many tunes had been played in that car, so many false notes and imaginary concerts... So many lyrics describing my indescribable feelings had sounded through the small space of the car, including so many duets held by Chloe and I...

Maybe it was the adrenaline left from the accident that activated itself just now inside of me, or maybe it was the stress of the moment, but I could feel my eyes getting a little teary. Not a lot, just enough for me to still be able to use the I got a little wind in my eyes excuse.

I didn't say anything, though. I nodded a robotic nod, flashed mom a slight smile which made my cheeks ache, and left through the garage door, heading to my room.

This was the perfect time to give Chloe a call.

______

"So, you're definitely okay now... right?"

"Yes, Chloe. For the seventh time, I'm definitely okay now," I responded, nodding.

Her lips tugged into a smile. She shifted her position on my bed, crossing her legs as she let out a sigh. "Phew. You've no idea how much you worried me. Don't you ever do this to me."

"That's what my mom said," I chuckled, remembering mom's worry from the hospital, and also wondering how people could worry about someone like me so much.

"That's what yo' mama said," Chloe corrected, speaking in a throaty voice, wriggling her eyebrows to what she always thought to be a smart joke.

She really enjoyed her daily Yo Mama jokes, for reasons only she understood. She really was a fan of the Yo Mama channel on YouTube.