t w e n t y: ✔

Twenty:

Twenty:

A couple of days passed. There was no sign from Michael.

The school hallways seemed as quiet as ever. Everything appeared to be happening in slow motion, the never ending classes and the dullness of the new lessons drawing holes into my mind.

The last period came.

I trudged my feet toward the Literature class, the only one Michael and I had together.

I burst through the open door with hope rushing through my veins, expecting to see Michael standing in the chair beside me where he usually sat.

My heart sank.

Instead I was met with the disappointing sight of the empty seat next to mine.

I heaved a loud sigh and tried to ignore the painful feeling in me.

The teacher slowly walked inside the classroom and began his monotonous speech, occasionally opening one of his torn-covered books and reading some passages out loud.

My eyes constantly moved to the clock on my phone and prayed for the seconds to pass by faster.

But no such miracle occurred.

The bell eventually rang.

I gathered all of my belongings and raced across the hallways, my eyes stuck on the exit door at the end of the corridor.

"Hey!" A voice yelled beside me.

Pain rushed through my shoulder as I felt something hit it.

I lost my balance. Luckily, I propped myself on the wall next to me, my hands gripping onto the hard surface, and managed to regain my balance in time.

"Bree, are you okay?"

I lifted my eyes to the source of the sound. Chloe took a step closer to me and pressed her hand on my shoulder. Her expression showed concern. "Didn't you see me coming?"

I blinked. "Uh... no. And yeah, I'm fine. Thanks."

I passed her a small smile. Her eyes scanned through my emotions, worry flashing across her face. "You don't look okay. You're face is pale. Paler than usual."

"I'm fine," I insisted. "Did you see Michael?"

She frowned. "Michael? No... I don't think I saw him today. If I think about it, I haven't seen him at school since Monday. Why?"

"Oh, nothing... It's just, I haven't talked to him since the party, and I haven't seen him at school either."

"Are you guys okay?"

"Well, I think so. I don't know... It's -"

"If you're gonna say complicated once again, I swear I will cut you to pieces and eat you like sushi."