Chapter 3

Chapter 3:

I didn't need any help with my problems

I didn't need any help with my problems. Therapy was bullshit, but I had to show up or finish my probation in jail. I'm of age and it's possible to happen. At least it's only four days a week, a favor that mom and dad negotiated with Ms. Donovan since they were sorority sisters in university. She's never excited to see me because she thought I lacked direction. I think it's because I slept with her daughter last year. She's not the forgiving type after all.

As the group addressed their issues, I barely listened. I was tired. I wanted this to be over for a long nap before work.

I leaned forward on my knees, my fists under my chin. Ms. Donavan began standing up to hug the blonde boy as she spouted the same statement: "We are here for you." Smiling superficially, the group clapped lightly, I rolled my eyes and huffed out a breath.

My attention went to the girl I found interesting, intrigued by the conversation: beautiful, curly hair, gorgeous profile, brown rimmed glasses, and petite. She looked familiar but I didn't know where. She didn't give me hateful eyes, she wasn't one of my past hookups. I think she's in my Philosophy class, she sat right in front of me. Bundling herself with her jacket more, she rubbed her palms together. It wasn't that cold in here.

"Would you like to go next?" Ms. Donavan pointed to her.

She stood on her feet, pulled at her sleeves and cleared her throat, "my name is Olivia, English major, first year. I'm an insomniac." Olivia gave a feeble wave.

"And what brought on your insomnia? If you don't mind me asking?" Ms. Donavan asked.

"Mostly stress. Trying too hard to be the best." She wrung her hands together, looking down on the floor. What did she have to stress out about? She seemed well put together and straight-laced on education. Girls like her didn't have problems in their life. Not like mine.

Ms. Donavan stood up and gave her a tight hug, "we are here for you."

Olivia smiled genuinely, "thank you." She sat down and crossed her legs together.

"And last, Damien. Please," Ms. Donavan stared straight to my direction with a tight smile and gestured for me to get up.

Slowly standing, my hands in my pockets I spoke, "obviously you know my name thanks to our kind leader," I saluted to her mockingly. She pursed her lips in annoyance. "Insomniac and all that. Engineering." I plopped back on my seat and crossed my arms.

"Any reason for your issues?" She asked with raised eyebrows.

"Sex," I simply answered. Hearing scoffs, murmurs, and chuckles. I smirked and ran a hand through my hair.

Ms. Donavan flared her nostrils and dark blue eyes were hard as ice, it dropped immediately as her face warmed up. "Great!" She clapped enthused, "now that we all got to know each other a little more, we can focus on helping one another and our issues. Since it's the first day of classes for most of you that's enough for today. We will meet tomorrow and discuss our goals and aspirations in life to become better. God bless you all and study your best!" Her chipper tone made me nauseous, mentally, and physically.

Everyone began to stand from their seats, I'm over this already. Eight months seemed too long. I made my way to the door behind the rest of the group, "Uh, Damien, can you hang back for a minute?" Ms. Donavan asked nicely. I halted my steps and spun around on my heels.

"For you Pam, a minute and twenty seconds." I leaned against the doorway as innocent as I could. The Olivia girl was the last to leave. She looked my way before exiting. I gave her and wink, she quickened her footsteps, closing the door behind. She's cute.

"So, are you gonna take this seriously or shall I call your Probation Officer?" She questioned, sitting on top of her desk.

"Really? Threatening to call my P.O.? That's low, Pam. I thought you're here for me." I shook my head disappointed. Wasn't that her mantra for all of us?

"Not when you refuse to participate, taking this as a joke. And it's Ms. Donavan."

"I showed up and talked. Participation completed, your job isn't that hard. Just check off the paper that I did and I'm good to go." I pulled out my paper from my back pocket and unfolded it, presenting it in front of her. Another deal that had to be done, for proof that I showed up as my duty to be a good law-abiding citizen.

"You still have to do everything in the group to avoid prison."

"Whatever. I have somewhere to be."

"I'm so glad I get to see you four days instead of five." She snatched the paper fast, clicking the end of her pen, and marked a dark x on the box to the date.

Grabbing it back, I blew a kiss, "love ya Pam, and say hi to Paige for me." I chuckled out of the room, not hearing what she said before I shut the door. I folded the paper and placed it in my pocket. I exited the building. The weather was even colder than before. I felt my phone vibrate, pulling out of my pocket, it was an unknown number.

"Pat got burner phone again," I assumed, shaking my head. Since I met him in high school he told me about his paranoid feeling that every phone he bought was wiretapped. Every week he purchased a prepaid phone to stay off the grid. I answered, "What's up, dude?"

"Hi, Sexy." I frowned, it's the girl that I hooked up with last night that almost made me late for visiting my cousin at the hospital this morning.

"How the hell did you get my number?" I questioned, unlocking my black Mustang with a push of the button.

"You gave it to me silly," she giggled, it irritated my skin.

"I wasn't that drunk last night," I told her as I entered my vehicle.

"Duh, you're an animal." I regretted sleeping with her three times. It was what I needed to silence the thoughts that ran in my head all night. Plus she's hot, I had a two-hour slumber right after.

"When can we hook up again?" She asked.

"I'm busy. Bye." I didn't wait for her to respond, I hung up and threw my phone on the passenger seat. I peeled out from the lot, heading to Pat's house.

What do y'all think of Damien? Let me know in the comments!

I'm so excited about this story and how I am planning it out. I apologize for the late chapter, I write better at night due to distractions. Some lucky days I will update them early. Thank you so much for voting and commenting, already over 800 reads! Woohoo! I love you all!