Chapter 9

Chapter 9:

Saturday night

Saturday night

Me, Penny and Isaac arrived at the party an hour after it began at seven, Penny said being fashionably late made you look important. I rather not be here at all but it was better than being by myself. I rolled my shoulders over and over. The scent of smoke, alcohol, and another smell I couldn't decipher mixed together made me want to vomit. The rest of the week, I felt too tired to do anything, the booming music was doing the trick to keep me awake. "My limit is two hours!" I informed Penny over the loud music.

"No! All nighter, woohoo!" She yelled out in excitement, pulling both me and Isaac inside. I sighed, shaking my head. I scoped out the party for a familiar face, I only saw a few from therapy with red solo cups and beer bottles in hand. "Live a little, Livvie!" Penny shook my shoulders and pushed me to the dance floor as the thumping beat of 'Worst Behavior' by Drake played.

"I refuse to get in trouble for not drinking!"

"Then dance it out!" She began dancing in a silly motion, the yellow fringes of her dress swished around her legs, lifting her knees and arms up and down offbeat. I laughed and began doing the shimmy along with her.

I asked, "where did Isaac go?!"

"To get us drinks!"

"He doesn't know what kind I want! I'll be right back!"

"Don't leave me!" She extended her hand dramatically, pouting her bottom lip. Shaking my head, I gave her a reassuring salute and headed to the kitchen to look for Isaac. He's nowhere to be found, I turned my head back and forth. No sign of him. I spotted a line of at least ten people in front of the keg. I began to search for other beverages. Finding a cooler of water and soda variety, I grabbed a bottle opening the cap. It smelled like alcohol. No. Taking another whiff, it hit my throat. I almost gagged. It's probably vodka. I dropped it back, turning away. Where's the actual water? My mouth was dry, the party was getting me hot. I waved my hand over my face and collided with someone else, his drink splashed over us.

"Oh, shit! I'm so sorry!" I yelled over the music.

"Jesus, at least buy me dinner!" The familiar voice said in a annoyed tone. Damien wiped the beer off his blue hoodie, it kind of matched his eyes as he clenched his jaw. I brushed a piece of hair over my cheek to hide my blush.

"Apologies again!" I maneuvered to the other side.

"Hey wait!" My steps halted as he grabbed my shoulder, "you owe me some money for this!"

"Are you serious!?"

"Dry cleaning's expensive!" He said factually. I scoffed at his coldness and walked away. Penny was still dancing where I left her.

"You stink of beer, I thought you weren't drinking!" Penny said when I met her side.

"Someone bumped into me!" I told her, the stench of beer still lingered on my green blouse sleeve.

"On purpose?!"

"Maybe subconsciously!" I looked around again, tugging on my sleeve, I already wanted to go home. "What time is it?!"

"We just got here! I heard there's gonna be some drag racing tonight!" She informed me with wide eyes.

"Isn't that illegal?!"

"I don't know but it's fun!"

"How did you find out?!"

"Pat!"

"And who's that?!"

"This is his house party!" She pulled out a flyer from her bra and handed it to me, which had an address and numbers.

"Cryptic!" I handed it back to her, raising an eyebrow.

Very cryptic, we're going!"

"Penny-"

"It's adrenaline-inducing!

"It's breaking the law!"

"If anything goes off, we leave immediately!" Puffing my cheeks, I teetered my options: go back to my dorm to force myself to sleep or be a risk-taker. I'm not the one in the car.

I'm not the one driving, I have not been arrested yet. Hopefully, it won't happen tonight. I might regret this, "we leave immediately!"

Penny crossed her heart and kissed her fingers to the sky, "scouts honor!" She squeezed my ribcage tight and we started dancing to the fast-paced music again. Isaac met us on the dance floor with three cups of beer, I denied mine but Penny took the two and drank them in one gulp.