Chapter 21

Chapter 21:

Tuesday Afternoon

Tuesday Afternoon

The error sound broke out of my daydream, my finger was on the backspace button. "Oh, damn." I exited and typed the school link again. I blinked three times to stay awake. I began browsing the school website for any updated newsletters while I waited for Damien. A headline caught my eyes. Hmm. ballet. Classes were open. I'm a bit rusty. Where is he? I checked the time on my phone, it's been over twenty minutes. I looked up at the entrance, seeing each and every student come in and out. I messaged him on the classboard site to meet up for research, he said he was coming this time. What the hell? Where is this guy? I pressed my cheeks against my palms up and down to my eyes. The project was due before we went on Thanksgiving break. The discussion board was updated for us to pick a topic and how it affects us as a society. Now it's thirty minutes.

The manager at Bookholders hasn't called me back. Forget this. Packing up, I slung my backpack strap over my shoulder. I texted Damien again: where are you?

Damien: Hey.

Me: Hey? That's all you have to say? I've been waiting for you for thirty minutes. We're supposed to meet up for our project.

Damien: Oh, shit. Sorry. I'll be there. Give a few minutes.

Me: You haven't left your place?!

Damien: Calm down. Let's reschedule.

I gritted my teeth, what the hell? I pushed the doors open and stomped away. I've been here waiting for him and he's still at home.

Me: No, no reschedule. This is the second time. We need this for our grade.

Damien: Fine, I'll pick you up.

"Pick me up?" I ask out loud. I moved to the side when someone said excuse me.

Damien: I'm on my way.

Huh? I frowned.

Me: where are we going?

I didn't get a response quickly. No bubbles. I stuffed my phone in my pocket, tapping my foot against the sidewalk. Why can't we meet here? He's on his way, we'll make the best of it. Minutes later, I spotted his car entering the campus property. I rested my hands on his hips. He swerved in front of me. I stumbled backwards.

"Speed limits!" I yelled out, crouching down to the car level. He's wearing dark sunglasses. His hair was messy, white shirt wrinkled. He looked like he just woke up and he managed to look good.

He winds down his window, "sue me," he shrugged.

"I might," I told him. He chuckled, and seemed to be in a good mood. I climbed in his car, wearing the seat belt. "That's twice you almost hit me. Why can't we study here? Like we planned?"

"Too quiet." His voice was groggy as he shifted his gear. Ok, he had a point but a reason for it is to research. I don't know if he has wifi at his place.