Chapter 19

Chapter 19:

Tuesday Morning

Tuesday Morning

I laid on my back, arms behind my head. I let out a yawn. Turning to my side of the empty messy space beside me. She's probably in the bathroom. Or she left. I sat up and sighed, finding my pants and slipped it on. The door opened. Kristy entered the room. She was dressed, holding her shoes in hand.

Kristy, right? Or was it Kristen? Or is it Christine? She begged to stay over, I said whatever, couldn't sleep. Most of the night I stayed in the kitchen, ate a snack. My roommate wasn't home, I watched some tv, and went back to bed. It's my bed. She did a long stretch of her body before she bent over. "I'm gonna be late for class," she said, while tying her braids up in a tight ponytail.

I grunted, clearing my throat.

"Last night was fun, huh?" she smirked, pulling down her half shirt.

"Yeah," I nodded. She was all kinds of fun. It was needed after last night.

"Bye," she sang out.

"Later, Kristen." I waved without looking at her, covering my face with my elbows. At least I got her name right.

I got on my feet, heading to the bathroom for a piss. After I washed my hands I heard my notification sound. I took my time to reach for my phone. Group therapy reminder. Shit. Do I have to? Ms Donovan will snitch if I don't show up, I could fake sickness, or say another family emergency. Nah, she would want a doctor's note.

She knows what's going on, so I could use it. I could drop in for ten minutes and leave. After last night, I wanted to be alone. I opened my drawers, placed the extra money inside my lock box and pushed it back before grabbing my keys. Screw it.

Ms. Donavan had us in another circle again. I sat in a spare seat near the door and closed my eyes. I heard others footsteps. Tapping on the floor made me open my eyes, Olivia sitting across from me. Her head tilted down, staring at the ground in a daze. She jolted up, adjusting herself. Hank came behind her, shook her shoulder gently. She gave him a side hug and then he sat next to her.

When she peeked up when she saw me and smiled. I looked away, flaring my nostrils. I assumed that Justin dude wasn't her boyfriend, she was all smiles with him at the pool bar. She had a point about boundaries. I should keep my space. Not get too attached.

Ms. Donavan came in, closing the door behind her as she rambled on about self care and boundaries. I rubbed my eyes with open palms, resting my elbows on my knees when leaned forward. She went on and on about self care. I self care myself all the time. Even with a partner.

"So what type of self care rituals do anyone have?" Ms. Donavan asked. "It doesn't have to be strenuous or elaborate."

"I take naps," Hank said.

"That's good."

"My facial regimens are longer. It's relaxing." A girl with red hair braided down to her back says with a nod.

"Good. What about you, Olivia? Olivia?" She called out, she looked in a daze with her eyes open. Hank bumped her side and she jolted.

"Yes?" She asked quickly and alert, blinking fast.

"Self care. What do you like to do?"

"Um, I drink tea and meditate." She answered. Her eyes were half closed.

"Are you ok?"

"I didn't get much sleep."

"Oh, I'm so sorry." Her voice was full of empathy and worry. I wonder why she didn't get much sleep. I rested my cheek on my fist. As the rest of the group continued on, oh God get me out of here.

Ms. Donavon did another one of her breathing exercises, I peaked at Olivia when she hung her head. "This was great everyone, thanks. Olivia, can I see you before you go?"

"Okay," she replied in a tired tone. I stood and began to walk out.

"Damien," Olivia's voice came as hoarse, I turned around. She rubbed her right eye and cleared her throat. "I noticed you didn't put your number on the message board for class."

"Why?"

"So we can stay in touch? For our project?"

"Oh. I guess I have to do that," I told her. To be honest, I forgot.

"Right. Seems like your night was wild," she said, letting out an uneasy laugh.

"What?" I frowned.

"Your neck," she pointed out. "She marked you good." I held onto the spot, shit. That's the last time I hook up with a biter.

"Um, I didn't feel that." I soothed the spot, it was sore.

"Classy."

"It's what I do. Your night fared better than me. I see no marks from your friend."

She wrung her fingers, looking away again. "Why didn't you come say hi?"

"I'm establishing boundaries," I simply say.

"Right," she nodded, keeping a tight mouth.

"He probably kept you up."

"What?" She squinted. Hank called her name before she could say anything else. It gave me time to sneak out the room. My phone rang again, it was my aunt.

"Hello?"

"There's movement," she said without explanation.

"What?" I walked out of the building.

"James, he moved." Her words made me stop in my tracks. He moved. He moved.

"He moved." I moved my feet, went to the parking lot, hurrying my footsteps to my car. "What do you mean?"

"I saw his leg jolt, the monitor beeped and then it stopped. I told the nurse, she said there's a possibility but I'm hopeful. I wanted to call. Do you want to see him?"

"I'm on my way." I turned on the engine, peeling out the spot. He moved.