Chapter 17

Chapter 17:

Monday Morning

I looked back if he was still asleep or waking up too. The space where Damien was sleeping was empty. He's gone. Like a burglar in the night, sneaking away before I could see him. Sitting up, I moved my neck side to side, my knees up to my chest. Guess he didn't want to stay. Last night really happened. We slept in the same bed. Again. I heard Penny shuffling in her bed, looking over, she groaned when she turned to the other side.

It was nothing, just two friends hanging out sporadically. Again. Is he my friend? Acquaintance? Classmate I see in the support group? Yeah, let's go with the last one.

I had to find a job. Might as well get an early start. My scholarship could only pay for so much. Essentials were a must, spending money for my wallet. I took a shower, got my backpack, and left quietly so I wouldn't wake up Penny. From Subway to Target to Aldis, each manager said the same thing: apply online, we'll call you when a position is available. I gritted my teeth each time I left, what's the point of having a help wanted sign if they're gonna say the same thing?

I strolled to the Bookholders, the campus bookstore. There were hiring for part time cashier, warehouse workers. I met with the manager Cecilia, she interviewed me for thirty minutes. She seemed nice. I explained about my schedule for the week. She said she could work around it. The position will start after the holidays. $13 an hour, it was good enough for me.

I got a phone call from my doctor. I told him about my health progress, on and off sleepless nights. He scheduled me for a physical next week.

I stared at the board after I sat down. More of my classmates came in, sitting in their seats. Including Damien, his hoodie was down. He glanced at me. I inhaled, smiled. He nodded, sitting in front of me.

I jotted down notes, frowning at the back of his head. I cleared my throat, tried to get his attention. As the professor continued the lesson, I stalked the back of Damien's head while I rested my fist against my cheek. The only time he moved was to get his phone out of his pocket. Professor Kirby announced a two-group project for the semester. We could pick any subject; he assigned the partners.

He tapped me and Damien's shoulder. We're working together. He looked back at me, I smiled tight lipped, he turned back around to the front. I dropped my smile. What's with him? Professor Kirby announced we should go to our assigned partner to swap ideas. Damien twisted his upper body, leaning his elbow on my desk.

"So, what are you thinking about?" Damien asked.

"Huh?" I questioned. He had this type of swag to him; this 'could care less' attitude.

"Our project?"

"Oh. Yeah." I nodded, shuffling the pages.

"You ok?" He asked with a smirk.