Chapter 6

Chapter 6:

My lungs constricted close

My lungs constricted close. I took in deeper breaths, my throat became dry. Instead of air, it was filling up with dirt. I hit my chest. No oxygen. It got to my head; I became woozy in the darkroom. I yelled out for help but no one heard me.

I got up and opened my eyes fast. Placing a hand on my chest to calm my rapid heartbeat deeply breathing, I coughed from my dry throat. What the hell was that? The Sun was still illuminating from the window on my skin. I squinted from the burn, how long was I asleep? I laid my palms on my head and swallowed hard. I'm thirsty. And sweaty. I wiped it off with the back off my hand. Before I could get water from the mini-fridge, the ringtone of Firework by Katy Perry interrupted my movement, I pulled it out from my pocket and slid the answer icon without checking the ID. I cleared my throat and spoke, "hello?"

"You just woke up?" Mom's tone was concerned on the other end.

"Yeah. I took a nap."

"You were supposed to call me last night to tell me about your first day."

I frowned in confusion, "I can still tell you, the day's not over."

"Olivia, it's Tuesday morning." My eyes widened, I slept for the rest of the day?! Removing the phone off my ear to check the date. She was right: Tuesday, 9:40 a.m.

"Shit," I mumbled. I hoped she didn't hear me. I placed it back to my ear, just in time hearing mom rant in Yoruba. I caught bits and pieces of it, she's telling me I don't listen, and stubborn. I sat there as she continued. She even added on about my attention span. Mom spoke three languages: Yoruba, Esan, and French. Whenever she's in a mood she would either yell or speak in frustration in one she picked. All I had to do was figure it out. Me and my sisters have picked up a few words over the years.

"I am sorry, mommy," I apologized but she continued. My mouth slacked open, her words were going in one ear and out the other.

I winced as her voice raised, "Sorry for yourself! I keep telling you to take your medicine and call me every night! Why don't you listen, this child?!" I visually imagined her throwing her hands up in the air frustrated. I pulled the phone away from my ear.

"I won't do it again," I said in a calm voice.

"So how were your classes? Did you go to your therapy session?" she asked.

"Yeah, I did. My classes are good."

"Good. Make sure you always go early. Aren't you late?"

"I have no classes today. Tomorrow." I rubbed my eyes from the crust blurring my vision.

"Ok. Take your medicine."

"I will." I hated lying to my mom about not taking the medication, the fear of relapsing got to me. The day I woke up from the hospital, seeing mom and dad's pained faces from almost losing me broke my heart. I explained my reasons, it was difficult but it had to be done for my parents to understand.

"Me and dad miss you," mom said softly.

"I miss you guys, too. How's dad?"

"He's blessed, baby. Find something to eat."

"I will."

"Call me later, we'll video chat on What's up."

"It's Whatsapp mother," I corrected.

"Whatever," she responded in her pretend American accent and snapped her fingers twice. I laughed. "Love you, mom."

"Love you, too." We both hung up. I did miss home. They wanted me to stay home for school to be safe from peer pressure. I promised to get better on campus to study hard, the group therapy was a blessing I found to convince them to get better on my own. I didn't even go to high school parties that much. I had my eyes on the books. The scholarship I received covered room and board. We planned a schedule for nightly calls and visits every two weeks.

I sat on the edge of my bed for a bit in silence. I stared at the room door until it busted open wide. I jumped in surprise. Penny was in a short black leather skirt and pink halter top holding her blue jeans jacket. Hair was messed and makeup ran in her cheek.

"Did we wake you, sleeping beauty?" she asked, shaking one of her hands in a jazz hands manner. I laughed, running my fingers through my knots.

"We have breakfast for you. "Her other hand was holding a brown paper bag. She opened it and handed me a wrapped sandwich and a drink.

I thanked her and I asked, "we?"

"Me and Isaac." She pointed out the door, the same guy from the ice cream shop yesterday stepping in and waving once with a smile. His jet black was hair gelled back, green framed glasses in front of his brown eyes, tall and broad shoulders.

"Hey, Issac." I peeled off the wrap. The smell of sausage, bacon, and cheese between two buttered bagels made my stomach growl. I placed the drink on top of the dresser.

"Hi. Looks like you had a long night," he glanced up and down my appearance.

"Something like that," I sighed, agreeing and taking a big bite of the cheesy breakfast sandwich. "Where were you?" I asked with my mouth full. Both went to her bed, she laid on her front with Isaac laying next to her.

"With Isaac at his apartment. We didn't want to disturb you but you were really out like a light." She grinned secretly, stretching her long body and wrapping his arms over his torso and kissed under his chin.

"Oh," I swallowed hard, thanking her for leaving so I wouldn't have to hear or witness anything graphic. "Shit, what time is it?"

"Almost ten," Isaac answered when he glanced at his watch. Finishing the sandwich I drank the soda and threw it in the garbage. I grabbed my shower caddy, robe, and towel out my closet to start my day to study in the library.

"I'm gonna take a shower."

"There's a party this Saturday on Parkway Street if you wanna come," Penny said running a hand through her hair, she then laid her head on his chest and leg over his knees.

"It's the first week of school," I queried.

"And what better to end the week with a slamming party. Isaac knows the guy so we are in."

Parkway street was forty minutes away off-campus. I was skeptical, there's gonna be potential drugs and alcohol. I wouldn't do any of them though, I didn't want to be alone in my dorm this weekend. Pursing my mouth to the side in wonder, it wouldn't be so bad. It's just a party. "Sure," I agreed reluctantly, exiting the room and to the coed bathroom.

 "Sure," I agreed reluctantly, exiting the room and to the coed bathroom