4.

Charles and I were walking through the garden when a guard handed me a letter. Once I opened and read it, I smiled, tears of joy forming in my eyes, while Charles looked at me confused.

I only grabbed his wrist and pulled him inside where we saw Catherine and the remaining surviving guards. Charles gave the biggest smile in the world, before racing to his mother and gripping her tight.

I told those guards to go get some rest, and when they're ready each one of them will be rewarded greatly. When Charles and his mother let go, Catherine pulled me into a tight embrace before slightly pulling away.

"I heard you saved my dear sons life," Catherine smiled.

"It was actually the other way around. You raised an amazing man," I smiled. "I'll leave for the two of you to reunite. But be ready for dinner tonight, it will be in your honor. Yours and the guards. For your safe return."

"Thank you so much," she said again before taking a step back. "I appreciate it so much."

"Of course."

"Katerina," Charles spoke stopping me from leaving as Catherine gave us some space. "Tha-"

"Charles don't. Your guards are the reason your mother has come back. And it was my fault she was put in danger in the first place."

"You can't do that to yourself. You had to come home for a final goodbye to your father."

"You truly are incredible, Charles. I remember that from when we were kids," I smiled small. "But you should go to your mother."

"Yes, of course," he smiled looking back at her.

"I shall see you tonight," I smiled before placing a kiss on his cheek and walking away.

As I made my way across the castle to my chambers, my mother stopped me in my tracks.

"You cannot hold a dinner for those people," she said.

"You mean the people who saved me? Why not?" I demanded.

"You are not queen, you can't do whatever you want when you want it."

"I am more queen then you. Why haven't you set my coronation, mother?"

"You are not my child!" She shouted earning a couple looks from servants. "You are not the late Kings either. You will not be queen."

"He signed me to his succession. Not you!" I replied before putting everything together. "You poisoned him."

"What are you talking about?" She questioned.

"You poisoned the only man I had as a father. All because you couldn't rule. Are you that consumed with power that you don't see right from wrong anymore?!"

"Watch your tone!"

"Guards!" I called and they instantly came. "Take her to the dungeons, for poisoning the king."

They obeyed but she fought as much as she could to get away from my guards. People who were waiting in the halls, rushed away as I called our planner over.

He listened as I told him what to do for the coronation that will take place next week and he immediately scurried off, wanting to have everything set up and there in time.

Taking a deep breath, I turned around and began heading to my chambers, needing some space from the world. On the way, a guard handed me a letter which I thanked him for and didn't read until I reached my room.

As I walked to my desk and sat, someone stormed in and slammed the door. Looking up, I saw Charles shaking with anger.

"What have I done to upset you now?" I asked hiding the letter from his sight.

"I just heard that you locked your mother away in the dungeons. What the hell are you trying to accomplish here?" He demanded.

"I'm trying to keep everyone in this castle safe. She poisoned my father. Until the day he died. Besides, aren't you meant to be with your mother?"

"She needs to rest. After all, she's very tired from being in your woods for days."

"I sent help! I am aware you dislike me and everything I stand for, but never question that. Your mother is the only person I have left in this world!"

"We will not be attending dinner tonight. You can count on that."

Before I could reply, Leith came storming in, a look of fear crossing his face.

"What is it?" I demanded walking towards him.

"Look outside."

Confused, Charles and I walked to the closest window and saw an army right outside my gates.

"Get the women out of this castle at once," I ordered turning to face Leith. "Take Charles and Catherine somewhere safe."

"What? We're not going to leave you alone here," Charles stated.

"Leith, that's an order."

Not waiting for a response, I told the rest of my guards what to do. Some will take women out of the castle while the rest stay to fight. I ran down to the dungeons to see the women who I had locked up.

"If you love this country so much, you will help me," I spoke swiftly as she nodded towards me.

Once everything was done, the woman cleaned up, we allowed three of the men inside our home. They greeted us kindly as we led them inside to the dining hall, where dinner was laid out.

That's when they told us who they were and why they were here.