14.

The party's extravagant. Everyone's dancing and enjoying themselves as I stand observing with Catherine by my side. To be honest, I'm extremely overwhelmed by it all, ready to leave in an instant.

"You need to dance. It will keep any suspicion of what happened off of you," she commented sipping her drink.

"Catherine, do not rush me. I just need a moment to breathe."

"Katerina, my sweet girl, I promise I'm not trying to rush you into anything, but you must do something."

"Catherine, only one good thing has happened today, my coronation. Everything else has been terrible, so I apologize for wanting to take a step back," I replied.

"I know, but placing your mother back behind bars was the right thing to do."

I merely nodded as Sebastian walked towards us with a smile playing on his face. He held out his hand towards me and I hesitantly took it before being dragged onto the dance floor.

My hand on his shoulder, his on my waist, as we settled into a soothing pace on the dance floor. My heart was pounding in my chest, begging me to flee the scene, but I couldn't.

People around me smiled, excited to finally have a ruler after my father's death. I couldn't focus as Sebastian twirled me into another's arms.

"Are you alright, sister?" Leith whispered which caused me to look up.

"I'm great," I lied giving him a false smile while my breathing was ragged.

"No you are not," he answered. "You are now queen, after waiting your entire life for this moment."

"I'm fine. I promise. Just an overwhelming day. Everything's moving so fast, it's hard to embrace this change."

"I know. But you won't be alone. You have everyone's support here. And I've decided to stay. So you can have me close."

"What about Claude?" I questioned.

"I cannot ask her to leave her family to join ours," he spoke softly, tears welling in his eyes.

"Then I cannot accept your staying here," I replied pulling him off the dance floor.

"What?" he asked hurt.

"Leith. It pains me to be away from you, however, I refuse to be the reason you are not with your beloved."

"This is not your decision to make. And I will never leave your side again. Not after you being taken," he commented.

"I can handle myself," I responded as memories resurface from that day. "Besides, I have my guards, Charles, Sebastian, and Catherine."

"You can't trust Catherine. You know that. She tried to kill you," he said angrily.

"She killed the men who took me. She saved me."

"She's killed so many. And she will most likely kill you and succeed."

"Have some faith in me and my decisions, brother," I whispered trying to control my anger

"I have faith in you. But you've been feeding into whatever Catherine's been telling you. Your going to kill your own mother for Christ's sake!" he slightly raised his voice but I gave him a look.

"My mother is the one who started everything. Don't you dare question my authority on that."

"Pardon me, your majesty," a guard spoke swiftly interrupting the argument.

"Yes?" I asked facing him.

"Your mother wishes to have a word with you," he whispered so others couldn't hear.

I nodded, giving Leith a look, before following him to the dungeons. On the way, I heard footsteps following us, so I turned and saw Charles trying to catch up.

I stopped the guard before facing and meeting Charles halfway.

"Where are you two going? I saw you leave and-" he began gently taking my hand in his causing my breath to hitch.

"It's alright," I interrupted removing my hand from his grasp. "Apparently my mother wishes to speak with me."

"You don't have to go," Charles whispered. "You have a choice."

"It's her final words before her execution tomorrow. I do have to go," I replied turning to walk again.

"Katerina," Charles stated gently grabbing my arm to have me face him.

"Now is not the time," I answered before following my guard once again.

Footsteps behind me, closely following, causing me to realize Charles won't let me out of his sight. Reaching the door, the guard entered first, then me, then Charles.

We walked down the steps towards my mother who sat on the provided bed, calm. She stared, waiting for someone to speak as we did the same.

"I believe I requested a private audience," she scolded standing, causing the guard and Charles to step in front of me.

"You don't have that right," Charles spat causing me to place a hand on his arm, shaking my head. "It's true. This foul woman ruined your life."

"True as it is, we need to keep calm. She's dying tomorrow, so, let her speak," I replied stepping forward.

"First tell me what charges I will be murdered for," the woman in front of me spoke.

"How about ripping a child from not only one, but two families, for starters. Not to mention the unspeakable things you've done since, like killing your husband," I replied.

"I never killed the king."

"He died because of you. Now go on."

"Everything I've done has been to protect you," she stated. "Darling I love you so much."

"Why did you call me in here?"

"I want to know how you plan on being allies with countries that are at war."

"I'm sorry, but you don't have the right to know that. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a party to get back to," I replied heading back to the stairs, Charles behind me with a hand on my back as the guard followed us.

"Wait!" she called. "I have one request."

"Yes?" I asked facing her.

"Don't watch it. You had to witness your own father dying, I don't want you to see mine."

"I haven't made a decision yet," was the reply before I left her.

Silence filled the halls as Charles and I walked back to the celebration. He had removed his hand once we parted with my guard and instead walked with his hands by his sides.

As the music became louder, I took a deep breath before walking back into the party. Elizabeth quickly came to me, just as I grabbed a glass of champagne.

"Congratulations," she spoke tapping her glass to mine with a smile.

"Thank you," I smiled back taking a sip and watching my guests.

"So, what are your plans for your country?" she asked hinting on my alliances.

"Elizabeth, I'm sorry, but I don't wish to speak about anything political until tomorrow."

"I understand. First thing in the morning?" she asked earning a nod.

That's when the trouble begins.