7.

When it was too quiet, people came rushing in, stopping when they saw what I had done. The enemy looked as if they were going to attack, but the look on my face made them stop.

I was covered in blood and honestly, I was scared, but I could never show it. Slowly, I walked over the enemy and handed them the dagger that was covered in their friends blood.

"This was an act of aggression. We could attack at any moment," one of the men spoke.

"But you won't. I'm about tired of you idiots ruining my life. You will not have Catherine de Medici or anyone related to her. And you most certainly will not threaten my family or myself, again. Is that clear?" I questioned walking to stand beside Sebastian. "Think wisely before you answer."

"Of course, your majesty," was the reply before they fled.

As I turned around, the room was trashed, and the man I killed laid, staring blankly at the ceiling. Sebastian and Francis tried to hold me back, but I pushed through them and knelt beside this fallen man.

Slowly, I moved my hand and closed his eyes as if he's asleep.

"Guards, remove the body," my mother said walking towards me.

They did so and my mother knelt beside me, wrapping her arms around me. But I was numb. I didn't feel anything, I couldn't. I was frozen.

"Katerina, are you alright?" My mother whispered in my ear.

"No. I killed a man. Of course I'm not," I replied before standing and turning to face everyone. "You are all free to go back to French Court."

"What about your coronation?" Francis questioned.

"There will be one. But the Valois are no longer allowed."

"Our countries are allies, we are family. Why wouldn't we be here?"

"Because your family is the reason it didn't work in the first place. You must be gone by the end of the week. Guards escort my mother to her chambers," I ordered.

"You can't be serious," Mary spoke. "This wasn't their fault. It was Catherine's and you still protected her."

"At the cost of two other men's lives. It will not happen again."

"Katerina, think about this. By not having us at your coronation you are risking the alliance," Sebastian said.

"I have been saving you all. How dare you say that! Be gone by the end of the week or I will force you out," I spat before exiting the room.

Silence filled my halls as I walked to my chambers. Shaking, I closed the door and was about to change when someone walked in and closed the door behind them.

Turning around, I saw Charles standing there with a sad look written on his face. He silently pulled me into a hug before stepping back and walking around me.

Slowly, he started to undo the ties of my dress in the back as I stood in shock. When he finished with my top, I turned to face him with curiosity in my eye.

"I basically told you and your family that I hate you. Why are you doing this?" I questioned earning a sigh.

"Your day was ruined because of my family. The least I can do is show a little kindness."

Smiling, he cupped my face with his hands and placed a small kiss on my lips. When he pulled away I couldn't help but smile.

He began to leave, but I grabbed his arm, pulling him back to me as I wrapped my hand around the back of his neck, pulling him in for another longer kiss than before.

As we pulled away, we stood in shock before there was a knock on the door and I quickly put my top back on as Charles hid.

"Yes," I said.

And in came Leith. He sighed in relief seeing me, but also had a look of guilt in his eye from the sight of blood on my dress.

"What is it? I have to change-"

"It won't take long. Are you alright? I heard about what happened-"

"I'm fine," I interrupted. "Just need to change my clothes and clean myself of the blood."

"I know what I said when we were trapped in the forest hurt you. And I am so sorry for that."

"You were right though. We're not related, not by blood anyway, but that doesn't mean we're not family," I smiled as Leith let out a sigh of relief.

"Good. Because I don't think I'd survive if you'd felt differently," he replied before pulling me into a hug. "I love you, sister."

"I love you too, brother."