S O U L L E S S: CHAPTER 1

"A new family moved onto the Wicker Estate." Julian muttered from beside me, thoughtfully and for a second- I thought he was joking.

I turned to him with an arched brow, "Main-landers are moving here, willingly?" I drawled, dropping my book onto my lap in disbelief.

I couldn't think of one person who didn't want to get off this godforsaken island. Not because it was a terrible, awful place, but because there was nothing here. 

Mirus was as old as it was beautiful. With its golden coast, that wrapped around us, but we were severely limited on what we had to offer. Almost every student were made to take the ferry to the mainland for new clothes.

Unless you wanted to wait a decade, and a half, for delivery.

"Yeah, they remodeled the estate into some fancy mansion." Julian continued, placing down his game, and staring at me with an amazed expression, "Apparently, they're one big family; cousins, and siblings!"

I didn't know whether to laugh, or cry. I knew that the old estate up Cliffs Bay was being remodeled, but I never once thought it would be for people to live in. It had been empty since I was a kid. My head was already swimming with all the stories that surrounded it. I shamelessly hoped that it would be another old couple, they seemed to like it here.

Because people my age can be real assholes.

Anyway, I couldn't remember the last time a new family moved onto our island. Probably before I was even born. Few people came to Mirus to live here.

However, tourists and vacationers were crazy for it. At least they can leave when the novelty wears off.

Our seasons were nice, and we had a couple of attractions. Historical stuff, I guess you could say. Nothing amazing enough to make people actually want to move here. Yet, there was a very rare occurrence when they did.

Mostly retired couples. Who else would choose to leave the mainland? The magical place were there were actual malls, and...in date movies. 

So, why the hell would an entire family suddenly decide to move here?

Mine had always been here, my dad and I. I was born on this island, most of us would probably die here too. That's the thing about islanders; we rarely leave and when we do, the chances that you'll see them again are rare.

Because who wants to jump back into the pond, after swimming in an ocean?

Even Julian's family were born, and bred islanders. I wondered how they would take to new strangers... that would be exciting! I can't remember the last time something interesting here happened, besides from all that went on with me.

Julian was raving about this semester football try-outs, but I couldn't even listen to him. As if I would anyway, that was one of his many interests that were lost on me.

I can't remember a time when Jules wasn't trying to trick me into tossing and catching a ball with him. Even when I didn't want to, but I was good at the running part. That's the only reason I joined track, because it helped clear my head.

When I was running, I didn't need to think.

"Do you think there'll be new students?" I asked through a groan, and Julian snorted at me with a grin.

"I hope so; we could use some fresh meat." He grinned devilishly, making me gag a little at his grossly suggestive tone, but I had to admit that it did ease my mood a little.

It was like the sun knew today was the last day of summer. The sweltering heat would be brilliant any other day. Had I not had to rush to the mainland to pick up some last-minute supplies, I would've enjoyed it more.