S O U L L E S S: CHAPTER 28

"You guys are late! We almost lost our slot!"

Julian scowled at everyone as we approached before doing a double take at me, and I gave him a look of warning before he could make some wildly inappropriate comment on my outfit. He caught my drift and backed off before he could even step forward.

"Our slot?" Cedric looked confused as he wrapped an arm around my waist. I shrugged my shoulders, "It's a small island, if everyone saw a bunch of teenager's pile into a bar parking space then there will be talk." I explained knowing he was clever enough to catch on.

Abstract may be at the other end of the island but people still knew each other on this side too. This one was more for the adolescents than the older people; louder music and longer hours. But we still had to be careful when going into a nightclub because the last thing people wanted was to be ratted on.

Although, most people on this end didn't give a damn.

"That's clever." Dillon surprised me by saying, her gaze zeroed in on Julian. He was dressed in simple jeans with a faded denim shirt over his white one, "I'll try not to take offense to the surprise." Julian answered keeping a straight face and raising his brows at me.

I had obviously told him all about Dillon, and he was intrigued. Julian thought it was weird that Cedric could live with his ex in harmony; it was weird but everything is weird these days. Especially in my life. But Julian didn't know about any of that so I just had to agree that it was the weirdest thing in my life.

And it was actually kind of refreshing.

"Let's go!" Braedon grinned as he slung an arm over Julian's shoulder and they exchanged a manly handshake, "My thoughts exactly." Julian agreed, totally ignoring Cedric and heading inside alongside his apparent new bff.

Lennox arched a brow at Cedric and he rolled his eyes, looking not quite sure as how to reply, "Did I do something?" He asked in a quiet voice as we trailed behind them and I bit back a mocking smile.

"Julian isn't used to...sharing." I tried to explain, "He's always had my free time, and always been team captain."

Normally the decision would have been made yet but I think everyone knew that it was between Julian and Cedric, of course Jules always had competition but everyone at school knew that he trained every summer for the spot and always got it without trouble.

And Cedric was an unexpected trouble Julian didn't see coming.

"He's lucky I don't steal you away every day." Cedric grinned playfully, warping one strong arm around my waist and pulling me tight to his side, "Do I need to back off?"

I rolled my eyes and quickly kissed his cheek, "No. But I need to pray that he gets that spot, no offense to you." I admitted because the last thing I wanted was a mourning Julian hanging off me, cursing the ground that Cedric walked upon.

"Nice to know I have my girlfriends support."

"You'll have it when it doesn't risk my free time."

Cedric laughed under his breath, looking at me in that same way he had before. The kind of way that's hard to determine what he was thinking; I mean he was hard to read at most times but that expression made it closer to impossible than ever.

The bar Abstract was hidden under was called Downtime, simple and to the point. Owned by one of the sorry fools who never managed to make it off the island, it made me wonder if he even wanted to leave in the first place.