S O U L L E S S: CHAPTER 6

Pressure crashed over me, like it was shoving me under the surface of consciousness and there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it.

When my eyes opened again, the first thing I saw was an intense infusion of color that glowed with more vibrancy than the sun that hung in the sky. And then it dimmed. 

I couldn't feel the slow burn of the heat anymore, or my clothes sticking to me. I was blissfully numb.

Deadly numb.

My breath caught in my throat at the sight of my body hanging limply in Bonnie's car that I was stood in front of. One thing I noticed was that I didn't feel sick at the sight; even though it brought up one of the worst memories of my lifetime.

Bonnie was screeching on the inside of the car as she shook my shoulders, trying to wake me up. She'd probably believe that I was dead after checking my pulse, most people did. 

My physical body stayed in its unresponsive state, maybe I should have paid more attention to that migraine.

"She hit her head!" Bonnie shrieked trying to wipe away the blood that dripped down the front of my face. Hopefully there wouldn't be a scar left behind, I remember the sharp pain that stung through my head before I passed out. It didn't look deep, barely a graze, "Somebody call 911 for the love of God!"

Care began to slow to a halt on the main road, everyone rushing out of their vehicles to see what the big commotion was about.

 After all, this was probably the most entertainment we'd had in weeks and I was in the center of it; that would do wonders for my reputation.

A scoff left me when I saw that the other car was completely untouched, parked squint at the edge of the road. 

Two girls stood by the small blue car, I knew them from school, they were crying hysterically like it was them who needed to be worried over.

I didn't even see anything other than distress on them.

"I can't find a pulse!" One man hollered from behind me. I groaned at the sight of two locals lifting out my unconscious body, it was even worse because I knew them. They always shopped at dad's store.

I watched helplessly as one of them laid down my body on the hard concrete as Bonnie fumbled with her cell, no doubt to call either my dad or an ambulance. 

People were more tuned in now that it was revealed who was struck in the accident; it had to be the island narcoleptic.

"Oh, come on!" I muttered feeling my cheeks flood with heat at the sight of one of the men leaning in to give me mouth to mouth. I wanted nothing more than to awaken in my body to shove him away from me.

Exhaustion made me feel weighed to the ground but the weightless feel of the world around me made me want to tip my head backwards and just fall asleep. 

The only problem was that if I did, I feared that I may never wake up again.

Hopefully an ambulance would come along and would shock me, that's what usually does the trick. It was the electric current, I think, that forced me back into my body. 

It hurt like hell but whatever does the job was something I rooted for.

"Why isn't she waking up!?" Bonnie demanded, now kneeling next to me. Her small hands shook whilst they wrapped around my own and a strangled sob escaped her, that my heart cracked at the sound of, "I still can't feel a pulse, I swear to god she isn't dead!"

Guilt tore through me and I wanted nothing more than to wave my arms in the air like a maniac, to let Bonnie see that I was alive and well. 

A cawing noise gripped my attention to where Corvin was perched on the hood of the car, staring directly at me.