S O U L L E S S: CHAPTER 23

"So, where are we going?"

"Drive in horror movie." Cedric announced with an impressed smile, and I gave him an odd look, "You have had enough surprises in the past month, I thought I'd cut you a break."

"How thoughtful. What movie?" I asked through a pleased smile, I liked movies. I especially liked when they were showing at the drive-in because at least there- they were old fashioned on purpose, I hope. Cedric's smile was sly, "Now that, that is a surprise. Small ones are allowed." He decided confidently.

And since I didn't bother to check what would be on tonight, I didn't know either. But since it would be the last showing until the end of storm season it would probably be a good line-up so I wasn't all that worried of suffering from boredom. I liked that it was lowkey; I wasn't big on extravagance.

I liked what I knew, especially in times like these. A warmth spread through me at knowing Cedric knew that without having to ask.

"Classic horror." I read aloud the nailed-up sign with raised brows, "You don't expect me to play the pathetic damsel in distress and act all scared, do you?"

Cedric's grin was infectious as he managed the wheel to find us a good spot, "No, I like an independent woman in my life...but some whimpers for the sake of my masculinity wouldn't hurt." He teased with an arched brow, "I happen to love tonight's choices. I may have put in a couple of recommendations."

"So, we're going to be watching your favorite movie?" I asked with a small smile. Probably because I was beyond excited to get a small peak into Cedric's personal life; even if it was just a movie, "Oh yeah, I love classic horror." He shamelessly admitted with a wry grin and I chuckled as he reversed into a space.

"So, who's car is this?" I asked climbing out of the classic pick-up, not because I didn't think it was his style but because I had never seen Cedric drive it before, "I had to bribe Lance to let me borrow it." He informed me with a roll of his eyes, and I had to resist the instant urge to snoop.

But it did make me pay more attention, not that there was much to pay attention to because all that was all over the place was mostly gum wrappers and papers. I expected to see trash of some sort but Cedric must have cleaned it out or something, but there was the insanely strong smell of pine.

"This is cute." I commented watching as Cedric began to unpack blankets from a rucksack and spread them out across the trucks bed. He went the full hundred yards and even plucked out some cushions for us to lean on, and a damn comforter, "Thank god. It's probably going to get cold later anyway."

Cedric grinned at me as he held out a hand and pulled me up beside him, "I'm going to go grab us some snacks. Anything you want in particular?" He asked watching as I settled into a spot, I was kind of surprised at how comfortable it was, "Hot dog, no mustard, thanks." I smiled gratefully.

There were more than a few people here that I recognized; most of them were from my school. Cedric was un-surprisingly greeted by the masses of football players who were on dates with cheerleaders and given flirtatious waves by all his doe eyed admirers.

Some of which were eye-balling me like I was some sort of space invader. It wouldn't be long until one of them-

"Adriana Crest!?" I recognized Simone Clarence's voice instantly; she was the schools personal Gossip Girl and had a metaphorical nose the length of the China wall that just couldn't keep out of anyone's business, "Are you...hah, you're not on a date with Cedric Salvador, are you? The new guy?"

Do I tell her? Normally, I had not the slightest hiccup in telling it how it is but I didn't know whether or not Cedric wanted everyone, or anyone, to know that we were on a date. My tongue dried up in my mouth and it was like my lips had suddenly been sealed shut by invisible glue.