S O U L L E S S: CHAPTER 8

I was totally avoiding them.

Anyone who I didn't grow up with on this island, or had the surname Salvador had been written off my radar for the time being. What made it easier was that after my accident, school was allowing me to take a 'mental health' day.

Which was nothing to complain about.

"Will you ever stop eating?" Calla questioned watching me wolf down my fourth fluffy pancake and I gave her an annoyed look. She decided to have lunch at home with me today, mainly because I'd been foolish enough to promise brunch, "I don't know how you do it. Why are you not fat?"

Now that was just pure, sickening, luck. For a while I thought about doing the whole morning run thing to appear more athletic but I hated waking up early enough to do that, and I was too lazy for morning runs.

 School was where I done my track time, or after school. Sometimes not at all.

I liked to change it up that way; be unpredictable. 

"Must be human sacrifice, or something." Julian mumbled around a mouthful of eggs. Still dressed in the sweats he slept in last night, and an loose t-shirt, "Never met a girl who eats so damn much."

Last night, Julian decided to keep watch over me, and take advantage of a day off school. 

So, he slept on my bedroom floor on the inflatable mattress that dad bought solely because of the amount of time Julian spent sleeping here.

"I like food." I shrugged plopping a cream smeared strawberry into my mouth with a satisfied sigh, "It makes me happy."

Which was totally true, whenever I had an episode the one thing that made a fast recovery was any, and every, food available. 

I don't know why but as soon as I pigged out, I felt a thousand times better. Like I'm being pumped back full with energy; I feel more lively.

Sleep helps too, especially when I can sleep until after ten.

"Can't argue with that logic." Julian snorted chewing the last of the bacon rashers, and Calla gave me a sidelong look, "I've seen you eat two pizzas before. How is that normal?" She joked teasingly.

I didn't want to admit that I have totally eaten more than two pizzas in one sitting, more than once.

It was kind of gross how much junk food I could chomp through all to myself, I didn't want to admit to the secret candy stash hidden away in my room.

A dentist's true nightmare, was what it was.

"Nothing else is normal about me," I grinned through a light laugh, "Why should my eating habits be?"

Julian stretched his arms above his head with a lightbulb look on his face, "We should enter you in an eating competition." He suggested seriously, exchanging a promising glance with Calla, "We'd make millions."

"And you wouldn't get a dime!" I sang chowing down on the last of the scrambled eggs.

Julian and Calla immediately jumped into how that wasn't fair but I felt my mind drifting elsewhere. No matter how hard I tried not to think about them; my mind always swam back to the Salvador's. 

Of course, I knew they had all the answers I had ever wanted, but I wasn't sure if I was ready for them.

Or if I ever would be.

"Earth to Adriana!" Calla waved a hand dangerously close to my face, "Someone is at the door."

It didn't escape my attention that Julian had made a quick escape upstairs with his plate, probably in case it was a member of school faculty.