S O U L L E S S: CHAPTER 20

"Adriana, you look blessedly healthier. Come on in."

Dillon, praise the sky above, was wearing clothes when she opened the door for me. I plastered a smile on my face and plucked off my sunglasses, "I feel like shit and I look like it." I deadpanned, side-stepping her at the sight of Lennox, who waved me towards her.

"You're not looking so hot, are you sure you want to do this today?" Lennox asked as Loki rubbed his side along my leg, cutely minding his own business. I shrugged a shoulder dismissively, "I don't know if this is going to happen again, or when. How's Sherry doing?" I asked stuffing my hands in my pockets.

Today was weird after last night, even the weather had changed. Since storm season was approaching the long hot days were turning a tad bit colder but I seemed to be feeling it more than anyone else, it was driving me crazy. My dad thought I was crazy for wearing a sweater out when he couldn't even bear the layer of a shirt.

"She's alive, sleeping." Lance stated sauntering towards me with an expectant look, "Come on. I don't have all day."

I blinked at him in astonishment before turning to Lennox, "What is he talking about?" I demanded in a not so pleased tone. Lennox smiled sweetly at me, "This will be fun. Lance is going to show you some tricks today." She informed me with a light push in the direction he walked in.

"Great." I muttered trying to remember what turn the giant off had taken before he vanished out of sight, "This should be fun."

Lance was still walking yards ahead of me when I spotted sight of him, I wonder if he could feel how much I wanted to kick his ass from where I stood. I hated storm season and I hated how easy it was to see it coming; the sky lost its vivid shade of blue that had faded, clouds were beginning to gather and everyone who weren't risky had already docked their boats before the ocean ate them.

A bark from behind me made me stumble, actually, describing it as a bark would be blasphemy. It was more like a thunderous roar that came from a vicious looking flash of stark white before a wolf was suddenly sat in front of me. That's right, a wolf, and we don't get wolves on Mirus.

"You brought a beast onto my island!" I screamed torpedoing past the furry beast at a wind-like speed. Lance glanced back at me with raised brows, "What?" He scowled reaching out a hand, that the hound instantly sniffed and rubbed against affectionately, "That! You can't have that here!" I snapped hotly.

Lance stared at me in amazement before returning his gaze to the wolf who sat on its haunches by his side. Suddenly, his face changed and I could instantly tell that Lance was trying to not laugh at me but was failing miserably because he scoffed like it was the most ridiculous thing he had ever heard.

"Neha is my Watcher." Lance stated abruptly scowling at me, "She's perfectly trained."

My gaze fell back to the beast, who's furry tail thumped rhythmically against the ground in content. It unnerved me how the wolf managed to uphold eye-contact with me, "Whatever. Where are we going?" I asked feeling a little more at ease when Corvin made a sudden appearance.

Or, at least I was.

Neha's gaze zeroed in him and she flipped the hell out. My eyes widened when the wolf's powerful body launched forward with her strong jaws snapping the air, I don't think I had ever been so thankful that Corvin had wings. Agile enough to miss the sharp rows of canines that were so desperately intent on snapping my damn birds neck.

"Lance!" I screamed feeling my blood boil at the sight of the stupid mutt going for my bird. He winced a little and snapped something towards Neha that made her ears pin back against her head, "Sorry. It won't happen again; can't blame her, she missed lunch." He shrugged turning on his heel as I gawked.