S O U L L E S S: CHAPTER 32

It's the initially tidal of coldness that woke me.

It washed over me in a quick but awakening wave that jolted me into consciousness. I was suddenly very aware of the gritty red sand like soil underneath me, even the air filtering through my lungs was icy. A throbbing pain in my head greeted me like an old friend, I should have kept taking my meds.

"Get up." Callan loomed over me, making my heart stutter from fright and I scrambled onto my knees, "This is not the type of place to take a nap, angel."

Thoughts were racing through my mind but I couldn't make sense of any of them, they were all in one scrambled mess. Callan didn't look particularly pleased himself, his expression was grim as he looked beyond the crimson horizon that stretched out far ahead of us.

"Why am I here?" I demanded in a hoarse voice, resting my palms on my knees as I fought to catch my breath. Callan watched me in silence until I finally calmed myself down, "It felt like I was being dragged to hell."

I suddenly squinted a little in wonder, what was Callan wearing? My eyes swept over the fitted black dress pants matched with the blue shirt with rolled up sleeves, exposing some admittedly impressive forearm muscle. He was even wearing a pair of hauntingly expensive looking shoes.

"I know, I look good." Callan winked, tugging at the black suspenders that stretched over his broad shoulders suggestively, "Looks like we've been summoned. Look lively, angel, things are going to get interesting."

It felt weird standing so close to him, more real, when he's projecting it feels like he's there but it's all in my head. Kind of like internet friends. But now, Callan was standing in front of me and it felt surreal, I mean he was close enough for me to smell his cologne; which was actually kind of nice, spicy even.

"What do you mean?" I demanded stomping behind him as he began to stride away, taking annoyingly long steps. I glowered at his back until I caught up and walked by his side, "Would you stop being so damn ominous!?"

Callan grinned slyly, "It's part of my charm." He drawled but the smile didn't reach his smile, and his shoulders were tense, "So, I take it from that adorable wide eyed look that this is your first summoning?"

"You going to tell me what a summoning is, or what?" I demanded hotly, noticing the slow trickle of more bodies forming a steady stream of people all headed in one direction. It made we itch with nerves, where were they all going?

Everyone looked to be writhing with excitement, their eyes glittered with mischief and they all grinned with a malicious touch to their lips. Some of them travelled in a big group, singing in another language at the top of their lungs and dancing vivaciously.

Callan looked alarmingly at ease amongst all the chaos and even grinned wolfishly at some of the dark and dangerous looking women, he was clearly well known; I could tell from the amount of many nods and gestures made towards him.

"It means the elders want to speak to us." Callan drawled pulling a pack of cigarettes from the inside of his suit jacket, "The elders are the strongest standing, they guide us but don't rule us. Not like your cute little spirit walkers do; we have free reign, as long as we play the roles given to us."

It made me wonder; where did Cedric think I was? Did Freya feel me being dragged into the Downworld? I didn't want to even wonder about what they would think of it, that I had been pulled into the Downworld without so much as a warning?

"You don't know them." I stated with confidence, all he knew was that I wasn't alone.

Callan nodded his head in agreement, "Not the one all over you." He admitted and quirked up a brow in interest, "Boyfriend, or lover?"