Shikamaru x Reader Pt.2

Your P.O.V.
Life wasn't easy after the war. The village was getting back on its feet. We lost many shinobi during the battle, but one shinobi in particular shattered my world. Neji. My best friend. It was difficult adjusting to life without him. We exchanged thoughts, discovered new things, and gave advice to each other. We did everything. It's been a year and a half later and I'm still not over it.

I walked through the village to the Hokage building. Kakashi-sensei was the sixth Hokage. I put on a fake smile and walked into the room. "Good afternoon, Kakashi-sensei! What can I do for you?" I greeted politely. Kakashi looked at me with sympathy in his eyes. I ignored it. "I am assigning you a mission. It doesn't require you to leave the village. All you have to do is put together a dance for your friends, people your age. It's a new method we're trying to use to bring Hinata and Naruto together." Kakashi stated sheepishly. I giggled a bit. It is time for them to realize each other's feelings.

I bowed. "Understood. Am I doing this myself or is there anyone that can help?" I asked. Kakashi looked at his list. "The Genin and Chunin this year are so irresponsible. Oh! Shikamaru and Ino can help." Kakashi stated. Shikamaru. People said he was dating Tamari. Why do I care? It was just some silly little crush, it didn't mean anything. Kakashi cleared his throat, disrupting my thoughts. "Sorry, I'll work on it right away." I stated and rushed out of the room.

I slowly walked towards the Yamanaka Flower shop. Ino was working at the register and smiled when I walked inside. "Hey (Y/N), what can I get you today?" she asked kindly. I always thought she was very nice, everyone else thought otherwise. "We're putting on a dance in an attempt to get Naruto and Hinata together. I need your help, because you're really great at decorating." I stated sheepishly. Ino smiled brightly. "Of course I'll help!" Ino exclaimed and jumped over the register. "Where are we meeting up? Who's going to work with us?!" she asked.

I'm happy she agreed to help. "The only person that's available to help is Shikamaru.." I whispered. Ino's eyes widened. "Is there really no one else?" she asked. I shook my head. Ino smiled apologetically. "Don't worry, I'll be with you." she assured me. "Thank you Ino." I said and embraced her in a hug. Out of everyone I know, she was the only one who would check on me this past year. We started to discuss some things before I left with a bouquet of flowers. It was starting to get dark, so I rushed to the place I visit the most. Neji. His headstone was covered with ugly dead branches. I pushed everything away and made it look nice. I smiled sadly and placed the flowers against the headstone.

"I hate you, you know that?" I asked with a smile, I was cracking. I sat down and leaned against the headstone. "Why, Neji? Why?" I asked, my voice was shaky. I started to sob. I shut my eyes and tried to forget. I covered my mouth, so I wouldn't cry so loudly. The memory was like a nightmare I couldn't escape. The scar on my abdomen throbbed. Neji and I threw ourselves in front of Hinata to protect her, but Neji was in front of me. That wooden piece went through his body and halfway into mine. I was able to be saved, Neji wasn't. Before he died, he lectured Naruto. Then he spoke to me. I was too stubborn to let him die, so I kept him alive as long as I could, despite my injuries.

I sobbed some more. My head was hurting. I wish it was me. "You idiot." I whispered. I heard footsteps approaching, I looked up to see Hiashi sadly smiling at me. He kneeled down beside me and lightly squeezed my shoulder. I was always afraid of Hiashi's intimidating eyes, but after Neji's death, he finally realized I truly did care about Neji. He cleared his throat. "Neji swore that one day, he would marry you. You two always spent time together and took care of one another." Hiashi stated with a smile. "His father would've been proud of Neji for choosing someone like you." Hiashi added. I smiled and wiped my tears away.

Only three people knew about Neji and I's engagement. We were going to get married when I turned eighteen, but the war started. During the war, I turned eighteen. Sadly, we were never able to get married. Instead of wearing the ring on my finger, I have it on a necklace I wear every day. "I loved him. I really did." I whispered and bit my lip. "You have to move on one day, that's one of Neji's wishes for you." Hiashi stated. I nodded. I turned and gave him a hug. "Thank you, Hiashi." I said and got up to leave. I bowed respectfully before leaving.

When I walked home, I looked at the stars. I began to think about the plans for the dance. What theme do we decide on? Suddenly, I pinched my nose. That god awful scent. I remember Asuma-sensei smoking those nasty cigarettes. A lot of villagers smoked. I couldn't really say anything to them, so I continued to walk. Suddenly, I bumped into someone and fell on my butt. I cursed at myself for not watching where I was going.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't paying any attention to where I was going. I deeply apologi-" "It's nothing, don't worry." a deep, dull voice stated. I looked up to see Shikamaru. I don't think he noticed it was me. "Okay, well, I'm going to go home now. Goodnight." I stated and awkwardly bowed. Shikamaru glanced at me and his eyes widened. There was a cigarette in his hand. Gross. "Oh, hey (Y/N), I didn't know it was you.." he awkwardly greeted. I gave him a small smile. "It's okay." I chirped.

Shikamaru's P.O.V.
I feel like an idiot, I didn't realize it was (Y/N). I cleared my throat awkwardly and smiled. "Can I walk you home? It's not safe for a girl at this time of the day." I asked politely. (Y/N) nodded. "Thank you, Shikamaru." she said with a small smile. There have been disappearances of women all across the nations. It hasn't happened in the village, but it could. "You cut your hair.." I whispered. "I thought I'd change after the war. I like it." she answered with a blush.

"It looks nice on you." I stated. "Sorry to ask, but would Temari be okay with this? I wouldn't want you to get into any trouble.." she sheepishly asked. I chuckled and looked at the stars. "We only dated for three months. It was terrible. She had too many trust issues. It was so bad, I couldn't even train with Ino." I said. Why am I telling her this? (Y/N) giggled and shook her head. "That's terrible. I'm sorry you went through that." she apologized. "How have you been? It's been a few years since we last talked." I asked, changing the subject.

Ino told me about (Y/N) and Neji's engagement. It didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Besides, even two idiots could see that they shared something no one else could ever understand. (Y/N) explained everything about her life and the changes. It seems like everyone forgot about her except for Ino and Choji. We started to talk about the things we talked about when we were younger. I wished I had confessed my love for her before Neji did. I sighed and thought what could have happened.

A second later, we were in front of her door. "Thank you, Shikamaru. It was great catching up with you." she smiled brightly. I smiled back. "Ino told me about the details of our 'mission'. I think it's going to be great." I stated. (Y/N) nodded. Her eyes sparkled, it was nice to see her happy. We said our good nights, then I walked home. For once, I felt complete. Maybe this was what I was missing. Maybe she's what I've been missing. I shook my head at the thought. I thought I was over her, but I still love her.

[A/N]: THERE WILL BE A PART 3 COMING SOON, I PROMISE! ❤