twelve

ALASKA

The Leafs ended up beating the Kings 3-2 in a shootout. It was a very stressful, yet exciting game for everyone at the Staples Center. Steph, Carly, and I got super into the game, only taking one break to pee. There were a few other Leafs fans, but everyone seated around us were die hard Kings fans. They gave us some grief through the game, but Auston's goal in the shootout shut them up. 

All of us agreed to meet at a club downtown to celebrate the win and kick off the week. All of the girls agreed that we need to change into something more club appropriate so we headed back to the hotel for a wardrobe change. The three of us went our separate ways once inside the room, promising we would be done in twenty minutes.

Now I stand in front of the daunting closet filled with possible outfits. Unfortunately, I have no idea what to wear. I hate being overdressed because then it looks like I tried really hard, but at the same time, I hate being underdressed because it looks like I didn't try. Plus, I didn't know how fancy this club is. 

Sighing, I walk down the short hall to Carly's room. I knock on the door, hoping she can help.

"What?!" she yells, stress evident in her loud voice. I groan, knowing she isn't going to want to help me.

"I don't know what to wear," I yell back through the door. A loud thud followed by a grunt sounds from inside Carly's room.

"I'm a little busy right now!" she yells. Several loud sounds come after, prompting me to turn around and walk back to my room. I shut the door and groan, staring at my closet. I drag myself over to it and begin thumbing through the rack of clothes. Nothing jumps out at me on my first glance through, but I know I have to pick something quickly if I want to be on time.

I grab a black tank top with lace trim and a pair of distressed, light high-waisted jeans off the rack and toss them on my bed. I slip Auston's jersey off, along with the jeans I wore to the game. I replace them with the outfit I just picked out, tucking the tank top into the jeans. 

I step in front of the mirror that hung on the wall and take in my appearance. The outfit looks alright, but it's missing something. I rummage through the bag of jewelry I brought until I find the fake diamond stud choker I got from Urban Outfitters. I clip it on, feeling better about my appearance already. 

"Alaska! Let's go! We're supposed to meet them at the club in 15 minutes!" Steph yells to me outside my room.

"Coming! Give me a second!" I reply, trying to find a set of matching heels. After a grunt of frustration, I slip on a pair of plain black heels and scramble out the door. Carly and Steph were waiting for me by the front door looking amazing. Carly was wearing a leather skirt, a sleeveless shirt, and a denim jacket, while Steph was wearing a tight olive green dress with over-the-knee boots. 

"You good to go?" Carly asks, looking me up and down then smiling. I nod and follow them into the hotel hallway. With long strides, we reach the elevator and press the button for the ground floor.

Once we reach the hotel lobby, we quickly exit through the front doors, stopping on the sidewalk to hail a cab. Steph successfully grabs one's attention and slips into the passenger's seat, Carly and I following suit. 

The car ride was silent other than the few comments we made about each other's appearances. Carly throws the driver a couple bills as we practically tumble out of the cab. Steph strings us along behind her as she marches towards the entrance to the club. I'm glad at least one of us was taking charge.

Rather than standing in the intimidatingly long line, Steph skips right to the front and pulls the bouncer aside. She begins whispering something in his ear. His hard expression turns to a smile as Steph finishes speaking to him. He moves out of the way and allows us to enter the club.