fourteen

ALASKA

The drive to the beach was short as far as distance goes, but it felt like it took twenty years due to the tension between Auston and me. We didn't say anything, let alone look at each other. I was going to offer a polite smile, but he didn't look my way long enough for me to be able to.

Maybe he regretted last night. Maybe I was bad. Oh God, I really hope neither of those is true. That would just make things even more awkward between us. I mean, I understand that we, or at least I didn't think of the consequences of our actions in the moment. I hate blaming the shots, but I know for sure that I wouldn't have slept with Auston if I hadn't been drunk.

I would assume the same would go for him, but he only had one shot the whole night. So, unless he's an extreme lightweight, he was stone cold sober for our whole 'encounter.' I really don't want to talk to him about it, but I know I have to because I can't pretend like he doesn't exist forever. However, I have no idea if he wants to talk. Knowing him, he'll just give me the silent treatment for the rest of the trip.

Steph seems a little skeptical of me and how quiet I've been, but she's so wrapped up in having fun with Mitch, she hasn't said anything. In fact, the pair has been inseparable ever since we hit the beach. Willy and Carly have been the same way along with most of the other couples, leaving me to my lonesome. I don't mind, though. I know they'll get bored of their boys and want girls time soon enough.

"Alaska! Get out here and stop moping!" Carly yells. I sit up from my sprawled out position and look down to see her and almost everybody else hanging around in the shallow water. I stand up from my towel and make my way across the stretch of warm sand. Carly starts waving her arms around like a maniac when she sees me approaching.

"Girl, you're already tan! How long did you nap?" she exclaims when I finally reach her. The tide washes over my toes, cooling them down instantly. I shrug my shoulders.

"Not long enough," I reply with a chuckle. Carly glares at me and throws her hands up. As you can see, she's a very expressive talker.

"C'mon Alaska! You can sleep in Toronto, but you definitely can't go to the beach there! Can you at least try to be present and have some fun? Maybe even smile?" she asks. I scoff and cross my arms over my chest.

"I am being present! I took a nap because I was tired, but I'm here now, so let's do something "fun"," I say, making air quotes with my hands when I use the word fun. Carly rolls her eyes but eventually sighs.

"Fine! You're right, let's have some "fun." Go jump in the water," she says, using air quotes around fun just as I did before motioning towards the ocean.

"Not yet! I just got down here!" I say, looking at the brunette like she's said the most absurd thing. I know I sound like a wimp, but I'm not warm enough to get fully submerged. 

"Are you serious?! We don't have all day," she complains. I watch her eyes widen in frustration as her cheeks heat up and a breeze blows through her hair. 

"Yes, actually we do! We're on vacation for God's sake!" I rebuke, tossing my arms in the air for emphasis.

"No, actually we don't! We have to leave here at four because we have dinner reservations at 7," she explains matter-of-factly.

"Does it ever cross your guys' minds to make me aware of plans a little farther in the advance?" I vent. It's true, though! Every time they make plans, I find out about it an hour before we have to leave. A little notice would be great for my anxiety.

"I just told you about the plans!" she insists, causing me to chuckle.

"That's exactly my point!" I exclaim, trying to calm myself down, knowing we're starting to kill some of the couples' "romantic getaway" vibes.