seventeen

**THIS GIF GIVES ME LIFE OH MY LORD**

ALASKA

"Alright, captain, what's the game plan for today?" I ask Steph as I saunter into our room's sun-filled kitchen. Steph smiles and pours two cups of freshly brewed coffee, sliding one down the counter to me. 

"Actually, we don't have anything planned yet. We could walk around the Santa Monica pier, go boating, do another beach day... there are so many options! What do you feel like doing?" she asks, rattling off countless ideas. I think each one over in my head, calculating the logistics of each, a habit I've formed. 

As much as I like the beach, I would prefer doing something else like the pier or boating. Boating would be fun, but that would mean being stuck in a very small space with everyone including Auston. I would really love to avoid all awkward interactions with him if possible, so maybe we should go boating another day. The pier, however, sounds like a great idea.

"What about the pier? I've heard there's a bunch of fun stuff there," I suggest. Steph's lips tug up into a grin as I take a sip of my coffee. She nods her head to something behind me. I turn around and see a rough looking Carly tip-toeing through the front door. 

"Hey, Carl," I say, causing her to head to snap up in surprise, "how's Willy?"

"Damn it, guys! You're never up this early!" she exclaims, throwing her arms up in defeat and plopping down next to me.

"Carly, it's 11:30 and we're on vacation. Of course we're going to be up," Steph says, laughing. Carly rolls her eyes, combing her fingers through her tangled brown hair. 

"Anyway," she starts, glaring at the two of us, "what are we doing today?" 

"What about the Santa Monica pier?" I ask her, gulping down the rest of my bitter coffee. Carly smiles and nods repeatedly. 

"Yes!!! I've always wanted to go there!!" she shouts next to my ear, causing me to wince. She looks at me apologetically for a split second before freaking out once again. 

"So I'm correct in assuming you want to go?" I ask her sarcastically. She nods frantically anyway, springing to her feet before pacing back and forth across the hardwood floor. The brunette then begins rambling to herself about what she's going to where and all of the things she wants to do at the pier.

"Carly," I say, trying to get her attention. She must not have heard me because she continues to mumble incoherent words under her breath.

"Carly," Steph says, aiding me in the fight for Carly's attention but to no avail.

"Carly!" I yell, finally catching her attention. She whips her head to the side, a bewildered look on her face.

"What?!" she yells back, clearly annoyed that we interrupted her giddy trance. Her hands rest on her hips as a scowl replaces the smile on her face.

"Please go shower, then start getting ready," I say, pointing towards the bathroom across the hall. She sighs but reluctantly follows my outstretched hand, shutting the bathroom door once she's inside.

"She's so weird," Steph says, laughing. I join her, thinking back to Carly's various reactions. She really was a bit odd... in a good way. Steph's chuckles turn to huffs of annoyance as she scans the table for something.

"Do you have your phone? I don't know where I put mine," she asks, frowning. I hold up my phone and she smiles.

"Yeah, why?" I ask, unlocking the device with my fingerprint. 

"Will you text everyone and tell them today's plans? We should leave at 12:30," she explains. I roll my eyes and begin typing the message. Steph grins and throws me a side hug as she makes her way back to her room.