26. "Boys don't want a girl like me"

Thanks to everyone that's read this story so far and left a vote or a comment, I always appreciate it. I also noticed that this story has over 10K reads which is amazing so thank you all for getting this story to so many reads because I obviously couldn't do that without you guys. My next goal is 20k reads so if you guys have friends who are fans of The Vamps and you think they'd like this story, if you could recommend this story to them then I'd be eternally grateful :)

With eighteen hours until the deadline, I finally finish my university application.

I mean, it has taken me long enough but I want to make sure that it is better than last year's and as perfect as I can possibly make it. I just need someone to proof-read it, in case there are any mistakes that I've missed.

Therefore I go on a hunt around the flat for my brother. I haven't ventured much out of my room today out of fear of bumping into Brad. I don't know if he remembers what happened last night but I'm really hoping he doesn't just to avoid any awkwardness.

I pick up my laptop and start in the kitchen, which is empty, but I can hear that the television is on so I make my way to the living room. However, Tris isn't in there. Brad is though. He's sat on the couch watching whatever programme is on the telly. He looks like he may have recovered from any possible hangover symptoms he may have experienced this morning.

He glances away from the television to see me in the doorway.

Please don't mention last night. Please don't mention last night. Please don't mention last night.

"Y'alright?" He asks, seeing my frown.

"Erm, is Tris about?" I ask quickly.

"No, he's gone to Anastasia's"

Oh.

"Do you know when he'll be back?"

"Probably tomorrow" he tells me, making me huff. I turn to walk away but Brad's voice stops me from leaving, "anything I can help with?"

"No, I just wanted him to proof-read my uni application" I explain, "the deadline's tomorrow"

"I can proof-read it for you"

I'm sure he could, but do I really want him to?

"Ella" he states, seeing my hesitance, "let me proof-read it"

I sigh. He's acting totally normal. Maybe he doesn't remember last night. Or maybe he does and he's acting like it didn't happen because he's embarrassed? Either way, his behaviour is reassuring me and so, too tired to argue and in need of a third party opinion of my application, I walk over to stand in front of him.

"I want constructive criticism, not sarky comments"

"No sarcasm"

"And you can't laugh at anything I've written"

"I won't" he says, "I promise"

I reluctantly hand over my laptop and sit down on the sofa to his left, pulling my knees up to my chest. He casually drapes his arm across the back of the sofa behind me but I don't say anything. I keep thinking about last night but he still hasn't given any indication that he remembers anything. Fingers crossed that he doesn't.

He starts to read the first section of the application whilst I turn my focus to the telly, where some documentary about dogs is playing. I think it's kind of cute that he's watching a documentary about dogs.

I'm just getting into it when I hear a chuckle from beside me.

I shoot him a glare, "you said you wouldn't laugh at anything"