Bonus VII (AU)

Hope you guys liked the final chapter, here's a little alternate version of a scene from chapter 4 for you

What if Tris had remembered to tell Ella about Brad in the first place?

It's around half past two that morning when I wake up. I'm annoyed because I'm tired and after my late-night shower, I was hoping to sleep straight through until late morning.

I turn over but I'm still getting used to my new bed and it's not quite as comfortable as mine back home.

The one Bratface is currently snoring in.

I push that thought to the back of my mind and hug the duvet tighter around me but after several minutes, I'm still nowhere near sleep again. My mouth is dry and I decide I need a glass of water so I will myself to climb out of the warmth under my duvet and into the cool air of the apartment. I grab my hoody from the floor and pull it on over my short pyjamas so I'm a little warmer, before exiting my bedroom.

I silently make my way towards the kitchen, the apartment quiet apart from the soft patter of my footsteps and the quiet snoring coming from Tristan's room as I pass it. I find my way to the kitchen and switch on the light, squinting as I wait for my eyes adjust to it and in the meantime shuffling over to the cupboards. It takes a few attempts at opening and shutting cupboard doors before I find the glasses. I grab the nearest one and start filling it with water from the tap.

It's just as I am turning off the tap when I hear the front door open and my body freezes. In fact, I think my heart actually stops beating for a moment.

Then I remember about my other roommate, who I haven't actually met yet. It must be him; I hope it's him. With my glass in my hand, I make my way cautiously over to the doorway and look down the dark hallway to see a figure locking the door. He turns around and stops in his tracks, his eyes falling on me.

"Please tell me you're Ella" he says, with a hint of a Birmingham accent to his voice, and I feel a wave of relief wash over me.

"Last time I checked"

"I thought you were coming tomorrow," he says as he walks down the hallway towards me.

"Tris thought today was Wednesday, not Thursday" I tell him as he comes to stand in front of me and I notice that although he's not very tall, he still has two or three inches on me.

The light from the kitchen behind me illuminates his features. Dark curly hair frames his face with chocolate brown eyes shining back at me, a cute smile tugging at his full lips. I vaguely remember finding him attractive in pictures I've seen of him but fuck, they don't do him justice. I'd have made more of an effort to meet him if I'd have known he looked this good.

Suddenly, I'm very glad that Brittany is so intolerable that I've had to move here.

"What an idiot" he remarks, referring to my earlier explanation of Tris's mistake.

"You're telling me"

"I'm Brad" he smiles, holding his hand out.

"So I've heard" I reply, shaking his hand firmly, "do you always come home in the early hours of the morning?"

"Not always," he shrugs, "do you always hang out in the kitchen in the early hours of the morning?"

"Not always" I mimic him, lightheartedly adding, "I just go where the night takes me"

"And the night's taken you to the kitchen doorway? Sounds absolutely wild" he says sarcastically, adding, "I imagine that's Vodka as well" as he points to my glass of water.

I can appreciate a guy with good banter. And good facial features.

"Obviously" I retort, "I always drink Vodka by the glassful"

"Well, I know to keep my alcohol out of your reach then" He muses.

"Probably for my own good"

His eyes graze over my face for a few moments, a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

"So you're my new flatmate" he states, leaning against the doorframe, "anything I should know? Apart from your alcoholic tendencies?"

"Um..." I think about it for a moment, "don't believe anything Tris says about me, don't touch my stuff and don't make me hate you because I'm a massive bitch and will make your life hell"

"Good to know" he nods, taking in what I've said, "my only rule is 'don't eat my Frosties'; they're my favourites"

"Oh, probably should have mentioned 'don't tell me what to do' as well" I smirk, "and Frosties are my favourites too"

He starts to walk backwards away from me and further into the flat, "I'll know if you've eaten any" he smirks, never taking his eyes off me, "and there'll be consequences"

"Ooh, I'm fancying a feast of Frosties for tomorrow's breakfast"

He lets out a small laugh as he turns and shakes his head.

"Living with you is gonna be hard work, isn't it?" he calls back as he disappears around the corner.

I grin.

"You have no idea"

The sequel, Going Back To 505, is up now! You can find it on my profile, if you enjoyed this story, please go and have a read :)