50. "Best birthday ever"

GUYS! It's the last chapter, I'm sad :( but it's also a very long chapter, plus there's a final bonus after it so it's not all bad :)

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to every single one of you for reading and sticking with the story fora all this time, I know it's been a long road for many of you haha, but please know that every single comment and vote and message is always massively appreciated, I love you guys so much because you keep me motivated to write and get chapters out because I'm always so excited to hear your thoughts :)

Also, a reminder that there is a Spotify playlist for this story and the upcoming sequel, you can find the link to in the bio on my profile. It's full of songs that I've either used in the story or songs that I think fit the story and remind me of Brad and Ella so go have a listen :)

DON'T FORGET to check out the final bonus after this chapter :)

"... And my mum will probably have got all my old baby pictures out already so she can bombard you with them when we get there, she'll love embarrassing me - you have a lot in common - and Nat will tell you many stories, trust me, they're all lies..."

I watch Brad carefully as he gushes about his family. He's so excited about this trip and so excited for me to meet his family. It's heartwarming. It's just a shame that I have too much anxiety to really enjoy his enthusiasm.

Don't get me wrong, I want to meet Brad's family, I really, really do. I'm just very aware of how I come across to some people and that I often rub people the wrong way and I don't want them to think I'm a total cow; I mean, even Brad himself didn't like me when we first met.

Though at the same time, I don't want to act like someone I'm not and like I'm some perfect darling angel. Not that I could keep that up for long. I just really want them to think I'm good enough for Brad.

"...Babe?"

I blink, coming back to reality. The car has stopped, I realise, and we're parked in the driveway of a standard but nice, homely-looking house. It's semi-detached with a well-kept garden and a large garage attached.

"Hm?" I hum, look over at Brad.

"We're here" he smiles. I give him a small smile in return, "You okay?"

"Yeah"

"You don't have to be nervous"

"I know" I nod, chewing on my thumbnail, "I just... I want them to like me but I'm not likeable"

He reaches over and squeezes my knee comfortingly, "Babe, you know I've told them all about you, right? They know what you're like"

"Oh great, so they hate me already" I deadpan.

"Not at all, they're so excited to meet you"

I can only imagine what Brad has told them in order to make them 'excited' to meet me.

"How much have you hyped me up?" I groan, rolling my eyes, "they're gonna be bitterly disappointed"

He leans towards me and presses his hand against my cheek

"El, they're gonna adore you, just like I do" he insists, before pressing his lips to mine for a moment, "I promise"

I resist telling him that he really can't promise that and climb out of the car. He follows out of the driver's side and walks to the back of the car, opening up the boot. He lifts both our bags out and I slip the handle of mine into the crook of my elbow.

We make our way up the path and Brad opens the front door. I follow him inside and we hear a dog bark from somewhere in the house.

"Jesse!" Brad calls whilst I take in the hallway. It's very homely, with wooden floors and cream walls that are decorated with family photos. One, in particular, catches my eye, a school photo of an adorably young Brad, still with his cute smile and unruly hair, just much younger and with braces on his teeth.