Chapter 2

Songs:

Brave- Sara Barellis

Hound Dog- Elvis Presley

Let It Go- Frozen (Demi Lovato)

*

*

*

*

*

I went home with Shawn shortly after the scene my father made. I wasn't mad at my father, I just needed to get my stuff together. Our first gig of the summer was tonight and since Neal, my father's second son, was spending the night with his aunt, we needed to pick up my best friend, Alana. She's the best guitar and drum player I've ever met, not to mention, she's got a set of pipes. I had put two guitars and a portable keyboard in the back of my truck and waited for Shawn to come down. He took more time to get ready than I did. When he finally came down, we drove over to Alana's house and let her hop in after throwing her guitar in the back.

It took us a few minutes to get to the bar and set up for the show. We planned out our show out minutes before the crowd started forming. People loved to hear us play covers while they drank, it was nothing new to us. At six thirty, we stepped out on the stage quietly, going to our respected positions. After a few moments, we started playing Brave. I loved singing, especially in front of crowds. They were the reason I could play in front of people now, this bar, these regulars, forced me to not be shy.

"You can be amazing

You can turn a phrase into a weapon or a drug
You can be the outcast
Or be the backlash of somebody's lack of love
Or you can start speaking up
Nothing's gonna hurt you the way that words do
When they settle 'neath your skin
Kept on the inside and no sunlight
Sometimes the shadow wins
But I wonder what would happen if you

Say what you wanna say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave

With what you want to say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave

I just want to see you
I wanna see you be brave..."

We sang the rest of the song, earning a long applause from our audience. We continued playing songs from the radio and a going old school with the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, Foo Fighters, Jethro Tull, etc.  Around eight thirty p.m. I hooked my iPod up to my keyboard and hit the first play-list. We needed a food and bathroom break desperately. Shawn, Alana and I grabbed three bar stools and the owner gave us burgers on the house. Alana all but begged me to sit in between her and Shawn. As if I didn't already know, she had a crush on my little brother, and Shawn had one on my best friend. They didn't know that of course, they both thought they were in a one sided relationship with the other.

The play-list I had playing had just finished a slow song and jumped into Elvis Presely's Hound Dog. All the couples started dancing to the chipper music, making me smile. I glanced over to my left and saw Alana and Shawn dancing as well, enjoying the close distance between themselves. I smiled and leaned against the bar, watching everyone as I swayed to the beat.

"You ain't nothin' but a hound dog

Cryin' all the time
You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Cryin' all the time
Well, you ain't never caught a rabbit
And you ain't no friend of mine..."