Chapter 18

Ain't No Other Man- Christina Aguilera

*

*

*

*

*

I finally got my winter break. After months of non-stop studying, late night trips to the library, and worrying about Emmett, I had a break. The first day of my break I was rudely awoken by Imogen and Emmett fighting in the kitchen. I groaned and rolled out of bed to go yell at them for waking me up. Don't get me wrong, I love those two idiots to death, but when they wake me up at six in the morning, heads will roll.

"Imogen, take it off the burner!" Emmett shouted. "You'll burn the freaking pancakes!"

"I'm trying, you baffoon! Yelling at me will not do anything!" She yelled back.

"Quiet down or you'll wake Ella up. We both know she's not a morning person!" Emmett exclaimed. 

"To late, Emmett. You two woke me up." I mumbled, shuffling into the kitchen. "It's my first day of break, what are you two doing?" I asked, making my way over to Emmett. He wrapped his arms around me and kissed the top of my head.

"We wanted to make you breakfast." Imogen said, gesturing to the mess on the skillet.

"I told you I was capable of cooking, Im. I'm not inept at this, you know." Emmett mumbled. "We can go out for breakfast, if you want, sweetheart."

"Sure." I mumbled into his chest. I was starting to fall asleep again. He was just so warm and I was cold and I'm just so used to falling asleep on his chest, I just did it immediately. I heard Emmett chuckle as he picked me up and carried me back to bed. "I'm up." I mumbled into his neck.

"Sure you are, Ella." He said softly. "Are you all packed? We have to leave for your parent's house by one if we want to beat traffic."

"Emmett, you packed everything last night." I said, raising my head to look at him. "Calm down, babe. We'll be there on time to get my room before one of my cousins does."

"I know, I know." He said, sitting me on the bed. "What would you like to wear today?"

"Something warm." I mumbled, pulling my knees to my chest. Emmett rummaged through my side of the dresser and pulled out black leggings and a thick grey sweater. He kissed my forehead and left the room so I could change. I came out five minutes later and we left for IHOP. Ever since Emmett came back from bringing his mom home, he's been antsy. He won't tell me why though, which is a little suspicious since he like to tell me a lot of things. That's how good our relationship is going. After eating a hefty breakfast, we went home and said good-bye to Imogen and her boyfriend before taking off to go home.

"Emmett," I said as he entered the pike. "Are you sure you're alright? You've been antsy the past few weeks." Emmett took my hand and raised it to his lips for a chaste kiss.

"Sweetheart, I'm fine. I'm just excited to see little Angel, that's all." He assured me. I nodded even though I didn't believe him. As we drove, I hooked up my phone to the port and hit shuffle. I wanted a song to sing along with. After a few songs played through, Ain't No Other Man came on. I flashed Emmett a wide grin as I turned up the volume so I could sing along.

"(Do your thang honey)

I could feel it from the start
Couldn't stand to be apart
Something bout you caught my eye
Something moved me deep inside

I don't know what you did boy but you had it
And I've been hooked ever since

I told my mother, my brother, my sister and my friends
Told the others, my lovers from past and present tense
That every time I see you everything starts making sense