Chapter 4 | 'Gone.'

Where do I start?

"Where exactly am I right now?" I ask, unsure on whether that was the correct question to start with.

"You are in Rural Georgia on Greene Farm, better known as Hershel's farm." She answers with a nod of her head signalling for the next question. If I'm still in Georgia it can't be hard to get home, I though to myself.

"What did your Daddy mean when he said these day's or when he said he would give that group supplies, why would he give them supplies if they could just go to the supermarket? And while were on about the group, why arn't they at home, surely Lori's husband would go back there? And why don't they get the police involved instead of search-" Maggie cut me off. I must of asked to many questions all at the same time. Maggie stared deeper into my eyes and turned directly in front of me. Her eyes had a slight sympathetic glow to them.

"Rory, where were you before you came to me and what was the date?" she asked. What a stupid question, I again said in my thoughts.

"I woke up in the woods by the fence, the night before, I was at home in my bed. The date was the 25th of August, why?" I felt the need to ask yet another question as I was even more confused then before, as to why she would ask such a silly thing.

"Oh darlin'." Maggie said and stood up. She walked up to her window and opened it as far out as it would go. I heard her inhale the air and sigh it back out heavily, like she was preparing for a long answer. She stretched her arms out of the window and tightly pushed her eyes together while bringing her arms back indoors. I am going to admit: i'm worried.

"Now sweetie i'mma 'bout to tell you some pretty crazy thing's, so prepare yourself." She says crouching down in front of me and holding both my hands softly on my lap. I nodded and looked down at her. She was no longer looking at me, but at the floor.

"The date is September 11th. Now I don't know how you got into those woods or how your in day clothes or how you even survived out there.' she informed me, "On the night of the 25th of August a thing happened. A pretty huge thing for that matter. It's something we call the apocalypse.' She continued and then suddenly paused and looked back at my now unreadable face. "Um, this means that the majority of the Earth's population is dead and, oh how do I put this? Are walkers, or what the comic books used to call, Zombies."

"We are living amongst zombies?" I asked with a crack in my voice. I wasn't sure if she was taking the piss or not. I was unsure on what she was telling me about.

"Yes." she carried on, 'Now me, my Daddy and Beth are lucky to have this farm as it's not over run. We get the occasional walker or two, but we deal with it quickly and quietly without attracting anymore.'

"So how do you get rid of these walkers? And how do you attract them?" I ask curiously.

"You kill it through the brain. They come towards an area or a person if any sound is made. If they bite you, you're dead. Sounds crazy and a whole load of bullshit right?" she asked, looking at me side on. I nodded. It really all sounded silly.

She showed me to window, which was still open. She pointed into a far field where there was a slow decapitated person dragging its left leg along the muddy, patched grass.

"Is that-" I began.

"Yes, that's a walker." She said placing her hand on my shoulder. I looked at Maggie and when she looked back I looked down at my feet. "Sounds even more crazy but, well we're all infected. When we die from a none brain related death, shall we say, a stab to the heart, we come back a a walker if our brain is not dead."

"Magge?" She nodded "Where are my parents?" I asked still looking at my feet.

"The honest truth?" she asked beginning to rub her thump up and down my collar bone. I nodded once more. "Gone." I tear cornered my eye. I was un aware of my emotions. I honestly didn't know what to do.

Yet again my body had moved before my brain could catch up. I was running down the stairs and out until I reached the top of the porch steps. At this point a tear had escaped my eyes. I looked up to see the group had set their camp up. I was becoming aware of all the reason's why Lori was so upset about her Husband's disappearance and why Carol looked so tired and why Glenn looked so emotional and confused. I ran past their camp thinking about each individual person and how they must of been through the shit.

"RORY! DARLIN' PLEASE!" i heard Maggie yell from the porch. I chose to ignore her.

I ran to the field where a stable was and a few hay bails and sat on top of them panting. I moved my head slightly to the left to see the clouds moving slowly across the sky. It really was a beautiful day even after all the horrible thing's I was just recently told.

I let my mind take over, taking in my current surroundings, countrysides really were breath taking places. I watched, as the sun set behind the rolling grass hills in the distance. The dark soon crept in and it wasn't at all chilly. Sleeping out here won't harm me. I thought to myself. As my eyes began to slowly become heavy and drop shut I heard a snap of a branch and the rustle of leaves being kicked. I shot up, looking in every direction possible. They're couldn't be walkers this far out? I slowly turned my head to the right and stared in that direction for a while making sure there wasn't anything. It was clear. I then slowly moved my head to the left and began to look closely in this direction also.

After a while I felt hot breathe on my face, I was about to let out a loud scream when my mouth was covered my a large hand.