Chapter 32 | Luckless Romance.

I gripped the one end of the large log and began to drag it towards the station I had set up to cut up fire wood. I wasn't expecting it to be so heavy. I jolted forward as the weight shocked me, but then laughed at my action soon after.

Lately I was so happy, everything was doing okay.

We have a perfect, friendly and fully functional camp set up, in a large field cut-out in the woods and a bonus to that was the group that came with it. If i'm being completely straight forward here, this is the best thing to happen to Dad and I since we found each other back at the care home, a good eight months back. Maybe it was about ten, I don't even know anymore.

I don't wanna think about that night anyway. It was good at first, you know, with finding Dad and all, and then it all went tits up from there.

I'm not gonna talk about it.

Let's just say, Dad and I aren't particularly planning on going back to Rick, Glenn, Maggie, Erika and Carl.

It's one of those long stories that you want to tell, but seriously can't be arsed to try and explain it.

I did pretty well dragging the log to the station, until my name was hollered and I dropped the log on my toe in shock.

'FUCK YOU!' I screamed out in pain, now hopping around and grabbing the end of my boot.

'Now baby-girl, that's no way to speak to your Dad now is it?' Daryl giggled, as he walked towards me from the main camp set-up.

'Shouldn't have made me jump then and maybe I wouldn't have dropped the damn log on my foot!' I joked back. There was a mumbled giggle between us both before I continued, 'is Kayden back?' I bowed my head.

'No.' he answered honestly, but quietly. I sighed angrily, it almost sounded like a loud bear grunt. 'Don't let it worry ya Aurora, his fine, his a tough lad.' Daryl tried to comfort me.

'He may be tough, but who knows anymore.'

A smile grew on Daryl's face as his eyes fixed behind me.

'What?' I asked in confusion. As I began to turn my head around to look at what Daryl was smiling at, two large arms wrapped around me tightly, holding me close and warm. I was elevated off of the ground and spun around a few times.

'What were you saying about me not being tough ay?' Kayden smirked, revealing creases in his cheeks. He twirled me around so our chests were close and I looked at him.

He towered me, he was a good foot and a half taller than me. Kayden was what I needed to make life okay for myself, for Dad too. His looks and the fact his mine makes him even better.

'Miss me?' He asked, kissing my cheek.

'No, I didn't actually.' I tried so hard to hold make a smile. He pouted at my statement, he resembled a lost puppy.

Kayden's fifteen, as am I, but he turns sixteen in a few months and I only turned fifteen three months ago. He has thick, wavy blonde hair, which sweeps across his forehead and sits perfectly above his eyes. They were a bright emerald green colour, which I thought was rare to have when you were a Blondie? His had a pretty shocking year, during the apocalypse, I always feel sympathetic for him, but he is the sweetest boy any one could ever wish for.

'So we have flowers growing around the tent pickets.' Daryl butted in. He doedn't like to admit it, but he gets kind of jealous and awkward around Kayden and I.

'Really?' Kayden sounded way too excited to hear about flowers. He almost skipped while following Daryl to where the flowers were.

'Beautiful aren't they?' Daryl beamed at me, signalling to the flowers.

'Are you actually trying to get me to punch you right now Dad?' I wasn't impressed.

'Do you not like daises?' Kayden asked me, walking closer to me and furrowing his eyebrows.

'It's not that she doesn't like daises Kay, in fact she loves them, but i'm sure she loves another flower more, right Aurora? Or maybe you loves daises SO' He emphasized the "so", 'much, the only way she can hide and forget about that love is to try and convince herself she loves the new flower.'

'Is there something you want to say to me Dad?' I spat. I was fully aware of what he was getting at, but I don't understand why he sounds so upset about the issue and is trying to come up with strange conclusions.

'I've said all I need to say for now.' Daryl nodded as he spoke. I cut my eyes at him and almost pushed Kayden away, as I stormed off towards the wood station.

All me and Carl had were a luckless romance. A pointless and stupid jumble of emotions and feelings, all rolled up in to a hurt tornado. Daryl always hints shit like the recent events, but I never really take bother in them. What he has just said was out of order and slightly out of character, I mean he has never been that sly and crude about a situation, even after Carol.

Oh how I miss Carol and Folkswood, Lori, Hershel and Beth, may God rest their souls peacefully. I don't think any of them would want what has occurred over the last nine months. Lori definitely. She's sat up there watching Carl and me wondering why i'm here and his there, but I hope she understands the real truth an reason behind those accusations that were made.

'Babe?' Kayden's voice was low and husky as he crept up behind me. I faced him and raised my eyebrows, as to say "yes?". 'Who is this "daisy?"' He twisted his mouth up tight and tilted his ear to his shoulder.

'A daisy is a flower Kay, Dad knows about my weird flower interests that's what he was going on at me about.' I lied.

'I never knew that.' He awkwardly laughed, swaying left to right and crossing his arms to keep warm. He knew it was lie, but his too good of a person to "over ask" questions or be too nosy in a situation. His way to good for me, but the poor lad doesn't even know it. It's not long until Kayden becomes hurt too. I'm just a casualty, waiting to enter peoples lives.

I probably sound like a dirty, slutty, fucked up whore, who plays boys to knock them down.

I'm not.

Daryl isn't right, Kayden isn't my distraction, i'm not convincing myself I love him, I do, and I know that he is the one I want to get out of this hell with and grow old together. Thinking ahead again. Carl was just the start of my story, an old distant chapter, that for some reason, I keep wanting to go back and re-read.

Stop it Aurora-may! No more Carl, his gone now, with a new group, with a new life, he probably doesn't even remember me.

That hurt.