Chapter 7 | What even is the world anymore?

I looked down at the weapon in my hand and then up at Daryl with a smirk. He held his hand out for me to hold and I took the offer. We walked towards Glenn and Carol.

'Hey! Glenn, Carol! I'm taking Rory out to learn how to shoot, wanna tag along?' He asked in a slight yell. He must of been louder than I thought as Lori, Rick and Carl came out of wherever they were in the woods.

'Can we come to?' Carl asked as they walked closer. Daryl nodded at them. For some reason I didn't want to leave Hershel, Beth and Maggie at the farm alone.

'Maggie!' I yelled towards where she and her Dad and sister were sitting. She looked over at me, 'Wanna come with?' She smiled and stood up helping her Dad off the log. While everyone was walking Maggie caught hp with me and Daryl who were walking up front. She told me how her Dad doesn't like shooting or anything like that on his land, and that we should go deep into the woods. Weird how he doesn't like it on his land and is coming along with us to go shooting?

We reached a spot in the woods, which was far from the farm, and opened up all of the weapons onto a tree stump. I was amazed at how many different guns that was lying in front of me. I looked up to see Daryl placing empty cans of food onto other tree stumps, which I assumed we are going to shoot at. When he had finished setting that up he told the group exactly what I thought the cans were for. We each lined up in front of a can, apart from Daryl who was standing next to me, and began to shoot. Except me. I had no idea what I was meant to do with a crossbow or even a gun for that matter. Daryl looked at the confusion on my face and giggled.

'Here, watch.' He said showing me how to set the arrow up in the right place and how to correctly hold it and aim it. I aimed the arrow at the can and took a deep breath in. At this point everyone was watching me. Great. I released the breath along the edge of the arrow as I closed my eyes and released. I opened one eye slowly to see if the arrow had gotten anywhere near the can, but as I was about to look I felt myself lifted off of the ground. I let out a scream as I noticed it was Daryl.

'You're a natural!' He said pointing at the can, which now had an arrow impaled straight through it's middle. Everyone clapped and I couldn't help but go red. I looked at Carl and he just nodded his head at me as to say 'well done', so I smiled at him accepting his gesture.

I couldn't brave a gun right now, I had only just used a crossbow for the first time today, so I continued using it. I only missed a few times, I have to admit I am proud of myself. It slowly began to get dark, so we all decided that the right thing to do is head back to farm just in case we completely run out of sunlight. The walk back was nice, it wasn't quiet or awkward at all, we all had a laugh and a mess about like we had known each other our whole lives. Maggie came next to my side and pushed me slightly trying to get me to chase her. She didn't give up pushing me, in fact she did it several times before I gave in. I pushed her back and began to run in the direction of the farm. I looked behind me laughing, trying to see if Maggie was behind me, but I couldn't see her. I looked back in front, only to be swung over Maggie shoulder as she ran forward some more.

Strangely, she froze, like I did before. It was a sudden stop of her feet. I couldn't see why she had stopped as my head was buried in her back. I wriggled a bit before she put me down. I turned to look where Maggie was starring. I've only ever seen one walker before and that was when Maggie told me about this 'Apocalypse', and even when I saw that one it was far away and I barely saw it properly. But anyway, i've only ever seen one walker, now I am witnessing a whole herd only a couple hundred meters away from the farm.There was no way we could take them out, it's impossible. This has now become a reality to me.

'Hershel!' I yelled turning around. 'Daryl! Come quick God dammit!' I continued before everyone joined me and Maggie. I had no idea what to do in this situation, i've never had to come close to something like this ever before. Daryl grabbed my hand and dragged me towards where they had set up camp, everyone but Maggie, Beth and Hershel followed us, they went to where they kept a truck for supply runs.

'Stay here baby-girl.' He told me while putting me on the back of his motorbike. I nodded frantically, hoping this will be all over soon. I watched as Daryl grabbed everything from inside his tent and rammed it in a large cotton bag. He slung it over his shoulder and sat in front of me on the bike. At this point my heart was pounding, knowing the walkers would get here any second. He looked at everyone else, who were now in cars, including Maggie, Beth and Hershel. Thank god nobody got caught up with an odd walker or two. I looked Behind me, where the herd was originally coming from, they were now scarily close and we had to leave now or God knows what will happen. I made my own personal check that everyone was safe and they were. I heard Daryl turn the bike on, so I quickly wrapped my arms around his waist. I had no idea where we were heading, I just hoped it was somewhere safe. I closed my eyes tight shut. What even is the world anymore?