Chapter 16 | What an unfortunate man.

My breathing became heavy. I was wrong, I knew the person in front of us all. I slowly shuffled backwards away from where I was once centre of attention and reached down to grab Daryl's hand. I took a stance behind his shoulder, trying to dip my face away from the new arrivals eye sight. I was shocked to see Rick take a few steps out of the crowd to confront them. He was confident, like he knew the person well, I am sure he doesn't know them as well as I do, but I soon found out they had crossed paths before.

'Shane?' Rick asked quietly, as he got closer to them. he tilted his head taking in their presence.

'Grimes? My brother it can't be you?' He stated proudly, like he was leader of us all.

'Don't call me brother Shane! We are no longer at that level of trust and regarding you being here: I think it's best you leave.' Rick said calmly. I was so intrigued to find out about how they were so close before, I felt like it was vital information.

'You know why I am still moving around?' He said to Rick, which made me certain that there was a purpose they were close before.

'You still havn't found them?' Rick replied with a slight sympathetic tone. I think I know what they are on about, I need to make a decision, again. For the second time today I have to choose whether to do something for the matter of others.

'No. I'm starting to loose hope, i'm almost sure they are gone.' Shane said ducking his head down. I tensed up and gripped Daryl tighter as the words traveled through the air.

'You okay baby-girl?' Daryl whispered to me. I shook my head. 'What is it?' He asked concerned. His eyes concentrated on my mouth as I began to speak.

'I know who Shane is looking for.' He nodded at my words, signalling me to carry on. 'His wife and daughter.' I said raising my voice a little more. I watched as Daryl's eyes widened. In the background mumbles from Shane and Rick talking about it were echoing around the group.

'You arn't -' Daryl began. He stopped his sentence as he notice me gulp under my breath.

'I don't know why Daryl, but I don't want him to know i'm here. I don't want him to ever find me.' I said, but as I went to continue on he put his finger over my lips to shush me. He began to edge away from everyone towards the left side of the house, it took me a moment to realize where we were going. The watch tower.

'Go up Aurora, i'll keep watch and i'll be right up.' All I could do was nod, this was a good idea of his. When I reached the top I ducked down against the corner of the room so I couldn't be seen out of the open cut out sections. Everyone of the four walls had holes cut out of them to look out of, which was good for what it was used for: watching out for walkers, but not for me in this situation. I brought my knees to under my chin and rested it on top of them. As I heard the door click open I flinched a bit as I saw Daryl step in. He also ducked down and crawled next to me. He flopped his legs out straight in front of him and sighed. 'Carry on.' He said looked at me.

'I don't want anyone to protect me like he should, but you. I only feel safe around you,' I paused, 'and Carl.' I saw Daryl's face light up with a big smile as I spoke Carl's name. He raised his eyebrows before he winked at me. 'Stop being so childish Daryl, i've already admitted the fact I love him today, don't make me talk about it again.' I tapped his head as I covered my mouth trying not to laugh.

'Seriously Rory, are you two like, together now?' He asked. I shrugged.

'I don't think so. Depends what happens from this point on.' I answered honestly. There was a brief silence before Daryl spoke again.

'Shane, has he done something wrong for you not to reveal yourself to him? He seems to really want to find you, so he does love you.'

'Daryl, I've only been conscious in this world for a few days. I thought he was dead, same with my Mom. He has never done anything wrong to me or her. It's the sounds of the past he has with Rick that scares me and if i'm honest, I don't trust him or feel safe with him at all.'

'Baby-girl that makes sense. Honestly it does, but he has probably been through hell looking for you and it would kill him to know that you were here the same time he was and you don't want to see him or be with him. You've go to understand that.' Daryl brought me into a big, tight hug. As his hands created large circles on my back I let out a sigh.

'I feel safe right now, with you in your arms. Being here just with you, I feel as safe as I could ever be.' I tell him honestly as I buried my head in the crook of his neck.

'Aurora-May you make me one happy man, you know that right? You always know what to say and you clearly know how you feel about things, but you should at least go down there and tell him how you feel. Even if it hurts him, at least he will worry about one less thing knowing your safe.'

'I love you Dad.' I said without thinking. Oh my God i'm an idiot, why the fuck would I say that. He probably thinks i'm creepy now, for God's sake! I pulled from the hug and looked down. 'I'm sorry, that just slipped out.' I coughed quietly. 'That's my mind speaking, and its about to do it again.' I looked up at him. 'I see you more of a Dad than I have him, hey I used to call him Shane all the time instead of Dad and it didn't even phase me or him. When I am with you or when people mention you or I think of you, I just see you as my Dad. Your like, um... i'll be quiet now.' I said, still with my head down. I felt Daryl's hands lift my chin up to look at him.

'I love you too baby-girl. I've never had a daughter and ever since we spoke on that hay i've felt this connection with you, as if you are one of my own. We are so similar as well, you don't even notice it, but I see it in you when you do the smallest of things. You can call me Dad.' He finished. It was quiet. All I could do was smile.

'What we going to do then, Dad?' I asked.

'You should go talk to him.' Daryl said. It was stupid, but the right thing to do. I stood up and Daryl watched me. I walked up to the hole that faced out to the group and Carl spotted me and waved. I gulped and sighed at the same time. Here we go.

'HEY GUYS, WHAT'S THE FUSS?' I asked trying to pull the attention to me so that Shane could see me. He looked the same as I remembered, short brown curly hair, muscular structure.

'COME DOWN AURORA?' Rick yelled to me and I nodded in return. I smiled at Daryl who looked like he wasn't planning on getting up, he smiled back. I walked down the steps swiftly and exited the tower.

'The thing is Shane. I found her a few days ago.' I heard Rick say in the distance.

'My Aurora-May?' Shane asked with shock in his voice. I was a few feet away when Shane noticed me. Shane Walsh, was once a part of the sheriffs department and police force, now a man who dedicated his life to finding his wife and daughter, who doesn't even want to see him. What an unfortunate man. I walked straight past him and to Carl.

'That's your Dad?' Carl asked me. I looked at Shane.

'That's Shane Walsh, i'm not sure about the Dad part.'