Chapter 6 | Tough world kid.

It wasn't a very big space, it only consisted of a large king sized bed, which was centre of the whole room, a chest of draws and a wardrobe, which were both painted white. The walls were a light blue/grey shade, I didn't mind at all about any of the parts of the room, from the colour to the lack of furniture. It was a place to say, somewhere warm and safe. I locked my door and head over to the bed, I din't even bother to get changed, I just got under the covers and drifted to sleep.

I woke up to a scream out front. I didn't bother to go and see the cause of it, that sound's awful I know, but I had no energy to be rushed up. I heard the click of the lock unlocking and my head shot to look at the door, it was Maggie.

"Mornin'. I brought you some clothes." She said with a fresh smile and walked up to my bed placing the clothes on the end. She paused instead of leaving.

"Maggie? What was the scream all about?" I asked sitting up. She sat on the end of my bed, just next to the clothes she had lay.

"It was Lori. Glenn went late night searching last night and stumbled upon a frail and hungry Rick up in a tree." She told me.

"Who's Rick?" I asked.

"Lori's husband. I knew personally they would stumble upon him sooner or later. I am glad he isn't, well... you know."

"I know. I'm happy that their group is all together and safe then now. Maybe we can get to know them?" I asked her.

"I dunno Rory, you can't trust anyone these days, always be careful when it comes to new commers." She said, sounding sure of herself.

"But you let me in with only a few questions on the spot." I made a point.

"I know, but you looked lost, confused and you are just young. You looked no harm and Daddy didn't seem to think you meant any either, so I know you're one of the good folk. We don't get much of them any more." She told me.

"Oh, I see." After I said that, Maggie ruffled my hair and left, locking to door behind her. I dragged the quilt off of me, feeling a cold breeze hit me. I shivered and began to get into the new clothes she had left me. I guessed they were Beth's as they fit me perfectly and we are similar body structure. I brushed my hair and walked to the door after making my bed and left the room, also locking the door behind me.

I found my way down the stairs, trying not to make a lot of noise. I wanted to go and see the other camp, so I headed to the front door. I began to open it as the house was quiet I assumed everybody was outside already, investigating the whole Rick story. I walked out to the end of the porch and down one step. I stared out to the crowd of only a few around a man sitting down on a log. He did look weak and frail. I bet it's a miracle he is still alive. I saw Maggie handing the man some fresh water and Beth was carrying a large box of supplies to the group area. Hershel was sat next to Rick talking to him about the whole experience and making sure he wasn't 'bit' or whatever that meant. It felt wrong over hearing the conversation between them, but I couldn't not hear it, they were talking fairly loud.

"Aurora May!" I heard the recognizable voice yell my name. I saw him step out from behind the crowd and I ran to him with open arms. During the hug, I looked at Rick from under my hair and he glanced at me then back at Carl, but when he looked at Carl he gave him a nod. What the heck? I chose to ignore it.

"How was your sleep baby girl?" Daryl asked me, grabbing both my shoulders and shaking me side to side. I pushed him off and stood up straight.

"Good. Really good actually, yours?" I replied after giggling. He shrugged and I shrugged back. He did sleep outside after all. "How's Rick?" I asked Daryl.

"His fine by the looks of everything. He just needs some good sleep and some food. He will be fine." He answered looking over at Rick who was now kissing Lori. I glanced at Carl for just a moment, making sure he didn't notice. I would expect the kid would look at least a lil' happy now that his Dad was back, but nothing, he was still as moody looking as the first time i saw him.

"What's with you looking at Carl so much?" Daryl said snapping me out of my trance of thoughts.

"I've only ever looked at him twice: when you guys first showed up and just now. He just confuses me." I answered truthfully. " I mean he doesn't even look a tad bit happy about his Dad being back and safe." I added.

"Carl's a kid you have to keep your eye on I guess. His strong and can fend for himself, don't get me wrong there, but he is only still 14 and his been through so much in such short time. He just keeps everything bottled up. The day Carl breaks, is a day I think we will see who he used to be before all this shit." Daryl told me. I nodded. I really didn't know how to reply. If i'm honest I don't know if i feel sympathy for the poor lad or if I think his just being silly and over dramatic keeping all of his emotions inside. Guess i'll find out in my own time.

Me and Daryl walked up to the group and he introduced me to them. Come to think of it, i've only met Daryl.

"Lori, I know Rick's back and all, but I think you should meet," He looked at me and smiled, "Rory." When he finished I giggled at the fact he said Rory not Aurora. I put my hand out to shake Lori's hand, but she pulled me in for a tight hug.

"How nice to meet you Rory." She said patting my shoulder. 'This is Rick, Rick this is Rory." Lori told me and Rick. I nodded towards Rick and he nodded back, then crouched down in front of me.

"Tough world kid, you are a hell of a survivor." He whispered to me and stood back up walking off with Lori. I was left slightly confused. I hadn't done anything, just woke up and made a few friends. Daryl shrugged at me before walking me over to the rest of the group.

"Guys this is Rory, I know it's an add time to introduce somebody to you because of Rick and all, but I thought you would like to." He said wrapping his arm around my shoulder.

"Hey, cool name you got. Rory." Glenn said with a giggle at the end. 'I'm Glenn' He said smiling at me.

"Hey Glenn." I smiled back.

"Aurora, right?" I heard a voice from behind me. I turned around to see Carl. He was sitting on the grass with his legs crossed looking at the daisy patch in front of him.

"Well yes, Carl, right?" I asked back. He got up and stood in front of me putting his hand out. I shook it.

"Carl Grimes."

"Aurora-May."

We both stood there for a moment with our hands still in the hand shake position.

"Pleasure to make your acquaintance." He said with a nod and and he walked off. I watched him walk into the tree's where his Mom and Dad were. He rubbed the back of his neck with his hand, cocking his arm up while he walked. I couldn't help but smile.

"My names Carol." I heard a small voice say from behind me, bringing me back to reality. I turned to her.

"Hey Carol, are you okay?" I asked with a friendly look in my eye. She pulled me in for a hug.

"I'll do just fine." She whispered to me. I nodded as we pulled away.

"Baby girl let me show you something!" Daryl yelled to me from his tent. I smiled one last time at Carol and ran to Daryl. I then stepped into the tent where I saw a crossbow.

"Oh my god that is awesome!" I said going to pick it up.

"No, don't touch it." He said picking it up before i could lay a finger on it. He passed me a smaller but smaller version of his.

"What's this for?" I asked with a puzzled look.

"You gotta learn how to survive right?"