Chapter 9 | 'Can I be honest Carl?'

I heard a rustle and I automatically opened my eyes, but didn't make a movement. I noticed that it wasn't even fully light yet, the sun was barely rising. I heard the same noise again and slowly moved my head to where it was coming from. It was Carl. What could he possibly be doing at this hour? I shuffled a bit, not making any sound. I turned my body around to see Daryl was lying on his side with a face full of my hair and his free arm draped over me. Poor thing sleeping with my hair in his face all night. I slowly lifted his arm from on top of me and put it by his side, I then gently turned back around to face where Carl was. I sat up slowly trying not to startle him, he does have a gun on him after all.

'Carl.' I whispered and he straight away shot his head in my direction while raising his right eyebrow. 'What the hell are you doing so early?' I asked still in a hushed tone. He walked over to me not saying a word. When he reached me he crouched down so our faces were in line. I stared at him deeply in the eyes, trying to figure out what he was doing. I saw a movement out of the corner of my eye so I looked down at it to see Carl moving his left hand up and out for me to grab. I took the offer. Maybe I was going get somewhere with this whole Carl mystery.

He helped me out of the blankets to stand up and began to walk up to the edge of the railing we were all camping next to on the highway. He let go of my hand and climbed over it then he offered his hand again for me to hold as I climbed over. So I did once again take the offer. He then, still silently, lead me into the woods, which we walked through deeper and deeper. The whole time the only thing I was worried about was the fact it was still dark and I was wearing no shoes and no jacket over my pre-worn clothes from the day before. Out of every single thing I could question or think about right now, I think about my clothes, nice one Rory.

We reached an opening in the trees, which we both stepped through to see an open hill. It was just slightly raised and covered in nothing but daises, but it looked so beautiful. We both stood there, taking in the breathe taking surroundings, before he began to lead me up to the top of the hill. We reached the top as a slight gust of wind blew past, going through every strand of hair on my head. I took a deep breath while closing my eyes and feeling both of my hands now being held. I opened my eyes releasing the breath. I was facing Carl, both my hand in his. I took it upon my self to look out to see the view form the hill, it was just more rolling fields as far as the eye could see, and all of them where blanketed with daisies, just like the one we were on. Carl sat down, so I followed him. We both sat cross legged parallel to each other. I was still starring at the many Fields in my sight, when I heard Carl undo the zip on his backpack. I turned to see what he was pulling out. It was a long plaid blanked rolled up. He looked at me and half smiled before draping the blanket over my back. I gave him a small smile back as I continued to wrap the blanket around me goose bump covered arms.

'What are we doing here?' I asked him, breaking the silence.

'Being normal.' He said, looking out in the direction of the daisy fields. 'I mean c'mon, you can't do this sort of thing during this Apocalypse, but look, we just have.' He continued. I smiled and looked down to the lil' hole in between my crossed legs.

'Can I be honest Carl?' I said and he swiftly shot his head in my direction.

'Of course you can.' He replied.

'It sound's silly 'cus everyone is, but i'm scared. And I don't mean of the walkers or of how the world's gone to shit, but of how this has just happened with a click of my fingers.' I told him, gulping in the process, 'I woke up in the woods for God's sake! I was completely clueless, unknown of my where a bouts and I have to admit, for a moment I thought I was dead. It wasn't until I found the farm house the same day you lot showed up that I knew I was still in reality. I didn't know anything about the whole walker thing and then Maggie tells me out of the blue. Well kind of, I don't know where my Mom or Dad are and she said they are most likely gone with the world. I'm just all around scared of everything and anything that's going to or has happened.' I began to cry. If i'm honest I feel like an idiot for babbling on to Carl about stupid things and now ending up crying, but he didn't seem to mind, he kept his head down listening the whole time. He coughed and then looked at me for a split second before pulling me in for a hung. At first I was left in shock. What the fuck, this kid has no emotion or feelings by the looks of things and now he is comforting me with a hug. It took me a few moments to hug him back, but i'm glad I chose to because it really made me feel better.

'It's been shit. Sounds like you have missed a lot before you woke up in them woods.' He said pulling away from the hug. I looked at my fingers as I messed with my nails. 'My Moms ill, I mean really ill. She has cancer. Tough subject I know, but when everything happened, Dad was out doing work, as he was a sheriff and that's a lot of late shifts. We were alone in the house and I was just about to go off up to bed and then the screaming and the explosions and all around scary chaos was happening outside. Then, cut it short, we got lost in the woods and came across Carol, Glenn and Daryl separately, on different occasions for all three, and they kinda stuck with us. My Mom scares me you know? She coughs up blood and all kind of stuff sometimes and she just looks at me and tells me to not tell anyone. But I can't help it Rory, she has nothing!' He began to yell standing up from the ground and facing the view. 'No help at all is being given to her and I feel like a piece of worthless shit every single second of every single day because I can't do fuck all to help her! She is dying! That day is soon approaching! I can't do this anymore!' He continued to yell out at the fields. While he was screaming I began to stand up as I noticed tears forming in the corners of his eyes. I grabbed his shoulders and turned him to face me.

'Shhhh shhhh, she is going to be fine, we are all going to be fine. Nobody is going anywhere for a long long time.' I whispered to him as he sobbed into my shoulder. I run my fingers through his hair to sooth him and then lay my head on top of his. We stood in this position for a while until we noticed it began to get brighter. We both looked out in sync to see the sun rising from behind the hills.

'It's beautiful.' He smiled while one last tear rolled down his cheek.

'sure is.' I replied pulling away from him. I felt for Carl I really did. I'm guessing him, Rick and Lori are always so kept because of her illness and that's why he is always so emotionless. He really does bottle him self up, which seriously can't be good for him. I don't understand a lot of things about him still, but i wont ask just yet. He has already told me a lot, but why has he told me and not Daryl or Glenn. It could be because I was awake at the right time or he just needed to let it out. Again, i'm confused.

We began to walk back to camp, it was silent but not awkward, it was understandable. It took me a while to notice he was holding my hand still, guess I got used to the feeling. We got to the railing and climbed it the same way we did earlier on. I barely turned to face the camp when open arms swung around both my sides and picked me up.

'Baby-girl! You worried me!' I heard Daryl's familiar voice shout as he spun me around.

'Nice to see you too, I just went to, um watch the sun rise with Carl.' I giggled as he put me down and I pointed towards Carl. He smiled at me as he walked to his Mom who he greeted with a hug. She looked so happy to see him and left kisses all over his face as Carl squirmed. I couldn't help but hold a strong smile towards them two. I feel so bad for him and her and Rick for that matter.. I looked back at Daryl who was starring at me with a look to say 'you're hiding something' and I giggled back nudging his shoulder.

We were cut off as a noise approached closer and closer from the direction me and Carl just came from. Daryl pulled his crossbow out a prepped an arrow as I shifted behind him nervously. The noise stopped as the trees parted and closed quickly. A figure approached, drenched in blood an panting. It wasn't a walker, in fact it was a girl.