Chapter 3

Usually I would be annoyed if a woman so openly stands in front of me and admires my body but for some reason when this woman does it, I suddenly want to blush. Why is she here anyway.

He watched as her face colored up when her eyes met his causing her to looked away.

"Um, I'm just here to deliver your food"

"This is your property that I'm renting? The lady on the phone sounded a bit older"

"Yea, no you spoke to my mother. My family has a few properties around town that my mother rents during the year. She's on her way home and wanted me to pick up some food for you"

"That's very generous of you. Thank you"

"Its not trouble at all"

"May I?" He asked gesturing to the bags in her car.

After she nodded go ahead he walked over to the car and unloaded some more bags.

"I saw you at the diner"

Edwardus turned to look at the little girl in the front seat.

"Well what a coincidence, I saw a very pretty little girl that looks just like you"

Her giggle warmed his heart.

"I drew this for you"

He watched as she neatly tore the drawing from her book and handed it to him. He took it and the smile on his face grew even more. The picture was of him standing next to the red Mercedes, sunglasses and all.

"You're my new favorite artist"

She giggled again and climbed out of the car to go to her mother.

He put the edge of the drawing between his lips then picked up four of the grocery bags and walked inside. Since the woman had picked up two bags herself he knew she wasn't far behind. He brought each bag to the kitchen and placed them on the counter and then turned and pinned the drawing to the refrigerator. When he turned to go get the rest of the bags he saw the mothers eyes on the drawing then she glanced at him then looked down at her feet.

What was that about?

As soon as they had all the bags unloaded from her car they all worked together unpacking bags and putting food away in the cupboard, fridge and pantry.

"Mom can I go out back to the beach?"

"Only for five minutes honey. As soon as I finish helping ..."

"Edwardu...Edward, my name is Edward" he supplied mentally scolding himself for almost giving her his full correct name.

"Edward" she repeated looking at him.

Now why did the way she just say my name feel like fine wine sliding down my throat.

He broke their eye contact and resumed unpacking the grocery.

"Ok mommy"

"No going in the water"

"I know, I know"

He couldn't help but softly chuckle at the way the child shook her head as she walled out the kitchen.

They worked silently together only their soft breathing could be heard in the kitchen.

"Well thank you for your help..."

"Rose, Rose Steven's"

Beautiful and delicate name for a beautiful woman.

"Thank you Ms. Steven's"

She nodded before reaching for her bag on the table. He followed he as she walked to the back of the house to get Emma. She paused just as she passed the open room door obviously looking at his luggage.

"Looks like you'll be in town for a while" she said glancing at him.

He immediately stiffened. He didn't feel up to talking to a stranger about his life or his plans. Something he's made a habit from years back. The life he lives required total and complete privacy, though lately he's been slacking on that.

He looked at her and saw her raised eyebrows as she waited for his response.

"I am not yet sure how long I plan to be here"

"The amount of luggage sitting there says other wise"

With that she walked out. He followed her out to the back door where her daughter had disappeared to. They found her walking around the shore collecting seashells.

"OK Emma its time to go honey!" She called out.

"But mom..."

"The only but I should be hearing is your butt finding itself in the car"

"Fine"

Edwardus covered his mouth to hide his smile when the child marched pass them clearly upset to be leaving so soon.

"gratias tibi again for my drawing Ms. Emma"

He watched as she put her hand on her hips and cocked her head sideways as she sent him a curious look.

"What does gratias tibi mean?" She asked him.

"It is the latain word for thank you" he replied

"Oh" she said nodding "what's the latain word for you're welcome?"

"Gratias"

"Oh well, gratias"

He sent her a nod and a smile then she turned and walked away.

"I guess we'll be seeing you around. Welcome to Hollyville and I hope you enjoy your stay here" said Rose.

"grazie"

He watched as they climbed into the vehicle and drove away, leaving him to his quiet evening.

After unpacking his luggage he searched for his phone and saw that he had messages. Some where from his parents and the other were seven text messages and three voice mails from his sister Elizabeth. All asking where he was, how long would he be gone and asking if he could come home soon. As hard as it was to not respond he held on to the power button until the device shut off. He would miss her, when he left home she was the only person he knew he would miss, everyone and everything else he considered a burden. Just thinking about it all had him feeling restless. He wondered out to the back porch and immediately the ocean breeze caressed his skin and blew threw his hair like gentle fingers sliding through his hair.

He closed his eyes and let the breeze and sound of the ocean serenade him. The murmuring of the waves was hypnotic and he finally opened his eyes to see the waves crawling to the shore at it own pace. The ocean was its own master, as was he. At least that's the way he plan for it to be.  Right then and there he vowed to live his life the way he wants to live it. Not answering to anyone but himself.

Hollyville I think you're going to be just perfect for me.