Chapter 20

Rose woke up the next day to the smell of breakfast

Rose woke up the next day to the smell of breakfast. She thought about staying locked in the room all day but the way her stomach was currently grumbling in protest she knew she wouldn't survive. So she dragged herself out of the bed and into the shower and then quickly got dressed and walked out of the room.

She found Edwardus sitting at the table digging into his breakfast. A place was set for her as well.

"Good morning Rose"

"Good morning...you're highness"

He visibly tensed as his grip on his fork evidently tightened.

"There is no need for you to address me so formally in a informal setting as this"

"As you wish, your worshipfulness"

His hand came down on the table in a loud thump that startled her.

"Sit and eat"

"Is that an order"

"Are you planning to starve the baby as a punishment to me? Because if so rest assured I'll force feed you if I have to."

The look he was sending her caused her to gulp and quickly sit down because the seriousness of his words was written all over his face.

She ate in silence the whole time not looking at him. Even when she could feel his gaze on her occasionally.

"We have an appointment today" he said breaking the silence.

"We?"

"Yes we, plural for you and I"

She fought the urge to stick her tongue out at him. The amused look he was sending her told her he knew exactly what she was thinking. She rolled her eyes at him which caused him to chuckle.

"Why do I need to go? I already saw the doctor yesterday. He told you I'm pregnant what else do you want?"

"A DNA test"

The fork fell from her hand and clattered onto the plate as she stared at him in surprise.

"Excuse me?"

"Is something wrong with your hearing? We could get that checked out as well"

"How dare you!"

She pushed away from the table and stormed back to the room she had chosen last night.

"Be ready in half an hour" he called after her to which her response was the slamming of the room door.

She was fuming as she dug through her bag trying to find something appropriate to wear. She had not planned on staying more than three days so she didn't have a lot to choose from.

After slipping on a summer dress and some strappy wedge heel sandals to match. She brushed her hair until it was shinny then sat on the edge of the bed to wait.

I can't believe he would embarrass me this way. Asking me for a DNA test as if I'm a woman that sleeps around. I haven't had sex since I got pregnant with my first child! The nerve of this man. I don't think I ever knew who he was.

She heard him knock on the door causing her to tense up.

"Rose?"

"What?"

"Its time for us to go"

She grabbed her purse and marched over to the door and pulled it open. She stomped pass him so she the missed the appreciative glance he sent her when he saw her in that dress.

The elevator ride going downstairs was quiet and tense. Neither of them in the mood to say anything. Not paying attention to where she was stepping she missed her step as she exited the elevator.

A startled scream left her lips and she closed her eyes as she felt herself going down. Before she could hit the ground though she felt strong muscled arms wrap around her and pull her to a solid chest. She opened her eyes and looked right into piercing brown eyes. She hasn't been this close to him since the night they spent together and the sudden close proximity was sending her nerves into overdrive.

"I'm fine you can let go now" she grumble.

When he glance down at her hands holding on tightly to his arm she realized she was the one holding him. She quickly pushed away from him.

"Thank you" she mumbled

"Don't sound so appreciative"

"Can we just go and get this over with?"

"I don't remember you being this hostile"

"Yeah well being in the presence of a man you can't stand but have to tolerate for the sake of your child, tends to bring out the hostility in a woman"

"Lying doesn't become you Rose"

With that he walked away from her leaving her to half run half walk to keep up with his long strides. When they got outside and she saw the limo waiting for them her steps halted and she released a frustrated grumble.

"What seems to be the problem now?" She heard him ask without turning to look at her.

"Do you always have to be the center of attention? Why can't you travel in a normal looking car instead of this... hearse"

"For your information being the center of attention is something I despise and this vehicle is far from a hearse but by the way you keep testing me it could very well turning into one"

She huffed and crossed her hands over her chest stubbornly. As she heard him release some angry Latin words and storm towards her she yelped in fright and dashed away from him and entered the car.

As he entered the car and settled into the seat neither of them saw the amused expression on the driver's face as he closed the door behind them. She was facing away from him while she looked out the window at the scenery as they drove by. The place was really beautiful and she found herself longing to be able to take her time to explore.

The silence was broken by the ringing of his cellphone. She turned to glare at him.

"So the darn thing actually does work"

He sent her a pointed stare before he answered. She couldn't understand what he was saying because he was speaking in his native language but from the angry scowl on his face and the way his eyes kept on darting to her. She could tell it wasn't a good conversation and it had something to do with her. When he hung up she turned to him.

"Is everything alright?"

"Nothing that you need to concern yourself with"

Really, then why do I suddenly feel like a storm is brewing.