Chapter 5

Edwardus knocked and waited as he stood on the porch

Edwardus knocked and waited as he stood on the porch. He could hear Martha from inside telling someone to turn the TV volume down and then she swung the door open and welcomed him inside. She startled him by pulling him into a warm and friendly hug. He would call it motherly if he knew what that felt like.

"Its good you came"

"Of course. Thank you for inviting me"

She lead him further into the house where he could hear the TV going. Just as they walked into the room a loud chorus of cheer sounded causing him to grip the bottle in his hand in fright.

"Mind your manners all of you. Say hello to our guest"

Curious eyes turned to him all seeming to figure out his presence here in the house.

"You must be Edward. My wife went on and on about your cooking when she came home earlier then she complained my ear off that I never cook for her. I'm Johnathan"

Edwardus chuckled and took his hand and was surprise at his firm handshake.

"I'm Josh, their son"

"Nice to meet you all"

He didn't even notice Emma among everyone until she gently tapped the bottle in his hand causing him to look down at her.

"You brought a gift"

"Yes I did. Hello again miss Emma. This is for dinner"

"gratias tibi"

He smiled at her. "gratias".

He watched her walk away with the champagne bottle to the kitchen.

"You're Latin then?" Asked Martha

"Yes ma'am"

"Beautiful language, it's a shame it is going dormant. Have a seat. Dinner will be ready shortly"

He sat down and stared at the TV lost about the game they were watching. He didn't know much about american football bit for some reason he couldn't take his eyes off the TV. Soon he found himself so lost in the game he was cheering right on with the other two men. The three of them reluctantly left the TV when Martha called them all in for dinner.

Before he could reach for his food,johnatja started praying. He looked around at everyone with their heads bowed and did just the same. Dinner was a friendly and very loving pass time with this family. It showed Edwardus exactly what him and his sister had missed.

He shook away his thoughts as everyone listened to all the stories about growing up here in the country area. Even Emma came alive as she spoke about the times she spent here on her grandparents farm.

This is what I've been missing. This is what I want for my own children. Not some life dictated to them.

So lost in his thoughts he didn't even notice all eyes were on him at the table.

"Are you alright their son?"

Son...

"Yes sir. I got lost I'm my thoughts."

"Was it anything like this growing up where you're from?"

"No. Nothing this nice"

"I find that hard to believe. When I passed through town today everyone was going on about that fancy car of yours. Plus this champagne taste so good, its nothing like the ones in the local shop"

"That's just the material part though. You have no idea how lucky you are"

Before anyone could say anything else the front door banged causing everyone to turn at the sound of footsteps.

"Mommy!" Emma squealed and jumped from her chair as Rose walked into the room.

"Hi sweetheart"

He watched as she wrapped her arms around her daughter and hurried her face into her hair. When she lifted her head to the table her eyes immediately found his causing her to go still. Her eyes quickly swept over him in admiration, bit she looked away too fast for him to be sure.

Wait is she attracted to me? Does that even matter?

"Hi" she said

"Hello ms. Rose"

"Have a seat sweetheart and grab a plate" said Martha

He watched her as she walked to the table. She was still in her doctor uniform from work. She took a seat next to Emma which left Emma sandwich between the both of them.

He listened on as her family fussed over how tired she look and all agreeing that she needed someone new on the pediatric staff so she could take a vacation. From the look on her face he could see that everything they were saying was going in one ear and out the other. He felt his annoyance building just watching her brush everything off.

This woman clearly has no idea how lucky she is to have a family that actually cares.

It must have shown on his face because when she glanced at him her eyebrows shot up in surprise then narrowed in question. He looked away and stabbed a piece of beef on his plate a little harder than necessary then put it in his mouth.

After dinner he helped Martha clear the table despite her telling him a guest is mot suppose to clean up. The others went back to watch TV. The phone rang and Martha excused herself just as Rose walked in with the last pieces of dishes from the dinner table.

He turned to walk out just as she turned to look at him with her arms folded.

"You don't like me very much do you?"

He heard her ask him.

"I don't know you"

"Yet you've been giving me the cold shoulder all night"

He didn't bother do deny it. He turned away from the door to face her. He stated at her with a deadpan expression the whole time she stood there with an annoyed expression.

"OK spit it out" she said

"Excuse me?"

"I've never met anyone that doesn't like me, until you. So what's your problem?"

"I think you're a little ungrateful"

He watched as she dropped her hands to her side and her face grew red with unmistakable anger.

"Ungrateful? You don't even know me!"

"I'm just going based on what I just witnessed out there. You're family was clearly concerned about you an you just brushed it off like it was nothing. You're lucky to have a family that actually cares about you"

"Oh I get it. You've got family issues and you've decides to take it out on me. Maybe next time mind your own business"

He could feel himself getting angry. He couldn't remember ever having someone who would dare to speak to him this way.

"Tell your mother thank you for a lovely dinner. Goodnight ms. Rose"

He quietly slipped out the front door and climbed into his car. He drove at top speed back to the beach house like he was trying to leave his thoughts behind.

How can one woman infruriate me so much yet I have the strongest need to grab her and kiss that reckless mouth of her.