Chapter 8

Her stomach grumbled as she rolled over in bed. She lifted her hand to shield her eyes against the glare of the sunshine that was coming through the window.

What is that delicious smell?

Edward! That's when memories of last night  all came flooding back. Edward at the door, Edward telling her to shut up, well not in those words but 'hush' did the trick. Edward giving her pills and Edward holding her in his arms. Her mumbling that it felt good having him carry her.

Oh God. I was so out of it last night. Thus is too embarrassing. What is he still doing here though, and cooking?

She glanced at the clock on the wall across the room and her eyes went wide when she saw it was pass midday.

"Oh my God! I'm late for work. Emma missed school. Why didn't Edward wake me!? Agrravating man"

"The man isn't even here and yet here you are calling him names. Poor fellow" said Martha walking in the room

"Mom! You're here! You're here? But I thought..."

Her words trailed off when she realized last night must have all been a dream caused by her illness.

"You thought what dear?"

"Nothing mom. I have to get ready for work. I'm guessing Emma called you last night when I got sick?"

"Here's some soup. Eat"

"But mom I have work. I'm already late"

"No you don't. Your patients are being covered by another doctor. Natalie called this morning to tell you not to come in to work until you're completely over the flu."

"What? Did I wake up in an alternate universe because nothing you're saying is making sense to me"

"Eat" her mother ordered pushing the tray to her again.

Rose sat down and took the tray from her mother and started eating her soup. A moan of pleasure rushed out as the flavors from the dish hit her taste buds.

"Mom you outdid yourself with this one. This soup is so tasty"

"I'll be sure to tell Edward when I go to see him next. Or you could tell him yourself" her mother replied with a smirk.

Rose started coughing as she choked when hearing her mothers words.

"Edward made this" she asked wiping her mouth.

"Yes dear please do keep up"

"But, I thought, so last night wasn't?" Rose stumbled over her words.

"Use your words honey" her mother said patiently.

Rose shook her head at her mother.

"So he was really hear last night then?" She asked

"Yes. He called me to come over. I got here right after he sent Emma to bed after making sure she had dinner"

Her mother had a look of approval on her face that made Rose want to groan.

"Why was he even here?" She asked curiously

"You would have to ask him that yourself dear. I didn't ask" she shrugged

"He made me soup" Rose concluded

"Yes" her mother grinned

"But why? He doesn't even like me" she grumbled

"Don't be silly Rose of course he likes you" she said flicking her hand.

"The man is arrogant!" Rose argued

"Mind your manners dear. Edward is no such thing. You really are too defensive" her mother chastised her

Rose looked away from her mother and stared at her plate. Startled to see that she had finished the soup so fast.

"I need to run to the office. I don't know which doctor has taken over for me. I'm the only pediatrician within one hundred miles." Said Rose

"Suit yourself. I'll collect Emma from school when its time."

"Thanks mom."

"Thank Edward"

Rose ignored that and walked into the bathroom to take a shower and change so she could drive to her office. When she got their she was surprised to see the waiting room was basically empty.

"Natalie what's going on?" Sgw asked as she walked over to the front desk.

"Isn't it great? We got an anonymous donation. Two point five million dollars Rose and that's not all two new pediatricians were flown in overnight to help us out. If you like the work they do we can keep them."

"Keep them? Natalie these are people we're talking about not a tray animal we've found in the side of the road"

"Well I know that but it's just what the letter said that they handed me when they got here. The patients seem to love them. Rose this is a good thing, more doctors on staff means you don't have to work so hard. You'll get more time with Emma"

Rose sighed and looked around the waiting room.

"Let me see the letter"

Natalie quickly handed her two files. Each file contained all the information you could think of about each of the doctors. Amount all the information sheets was a letter explaining that someone had hired the doctors because they knew the help was needed. The money donated should be used to expand on the office and after expansion is completed the necessary equipments would be donated. The letter was signed sir Ward.

"Of my God" Rose whispered

"That's what I said too. Except I said it louder"

Rose smiled at her friend. Her hand trembled when she lifted the check made out to her in the amount of two point five million dollars. As far as miracles go, she was pretty sure this was it.

"Ms. Black are there anymore patients to be seem?" Someone asked from behind them.

Rose and Natalie turned to see one of the doctors.

"Uh no doctor. The last patient just went in to see Dr. Susan"

"Oh very well. I'll take my break now then"

"Doctor before you go please allow me to introduce Dr. Rose Stevens"

"Dr. Stevens you must be my new boss"

"Boss?"

"Yes. You are the senior physician here"

"Yes I suppose you're right. Uh, welcome to Hollyville. I'm really happy to have you here."

"Pleasure is also mine. I'm happy to be here"

"Not as happy as I am. Um, do you know exactly who it is that hired you?"

"It was anonymous, with the first three months pay wired to my account. The letter was delivered to the hospital I worked for. We were over staffed and I barely had work there. This job pays more and though I don't do this only for money it was just too good to pass up."

Rose nodded and spoke to the doctor. Eventually the other doctor joined them. After not seeing a patient come in for over an hour they all decided to have a quick lunch together as Rose filled them in on things about her small home town, Hollyville.