Chapter 4

Edwardus rolled over in the bed while reaching out

Edwardus rolled over in the bed while reaching out. His eyes popped opened when his hand came up empty. He sat up in bed and rubbed his eyes and took a look around remembering he was no longer at home. For the past few months he had gotten so use to waking up with a woman in his bed. This feeling of being alone was almost alien to him. He pushed back the covers and stretched as he walked over to the glass door and threw the curtains open. He was glad for the solitude because he was one to only sleep in the nude.

He walked into the bathroom and took a quick shower and brushed his teeth then wondered out to the kitchen to make some breakfast since the diner in town didn't quite serve anything his appetite often craved. He silently thanked his childhood nanny for his acquired cooking skills.

After putting his breakfast casserole into the oven to bake. He searched around for the milk and sugar so he could make himself some Latte macchiato.

Halfway through his breakfast there was a knock on the door forcing him to leave his breakfast to answer the door. When he pulled the door open he was greeted by a older woman that looks to be in her early or middle fifties. Her eyes slightly crinkled at the corners as she looked up at him with a friendly smile.

"You must be Edward. I'm Martha the woman who rented you this beach house"

"Oh of course nice to meet you. Please do come in"

He stepped aside so she could go last him then he closed the door.

"Oh my! I've interrupted your breakfast I'm so sorry dear"

"That's alright ma'am. Would you like to join me?"

For a minute she looked surprised at his invitation and that made him feel good because its not something he would ever find himself doing.

"Sure dear that would be lovely since I haven't gotten around to eating yet"

He pulled out a chair for her to sit as he went back to the kitchen to disk a plate of casserole for her.

As she took her first bite her eyes flew to his face with a smile.

"This is quite the casserole you have here! Why its the best I've ever tasted"

"Thank you ma'am"

Pleased he went back to his own meal and finished the last of it in no time.

"I'm happy my daughter found the time to buy you some grocery yesterday. I would have done it myself but my Johnathan and I were out of town for our anniversary weekend"